Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Iphone 6s. I have updated to 14.5.1 and get a storage full message. Half of storage is "other." Deleting apps and data does not change the space available.

I have an Iphone 6s. I have updated to 14.5.1 and get a storage full message. Half of storage is "other." Deleting apps and data does not change the space available. No

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on May 19, 2021 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 10:55 PM

I restored the 6s to factory settings and then restored my data and all apps from a recent backup. "Other" usage went from 7.8 Gb to 0.

I now have 4.7 Gb of space instead of .2 on my 16 Gb phone, and all features are now working.

Thanks.

5 replies

May 19, 2021 12:34 PM in response to troubleinrivercity21

"Other" is your stuff, and stuff for the apps you are using, and stuff that is not directly accessible and not otherwise categorized.

Per Apple: Other: Non-removable mobile assets, like Siri voices, fonts, dictionaries, non-removable logs and caches, Spotlight index, and system data, such as Keychain and CloudKit Database. Cached files can't be deleted by the system.

Your iPhone 6s is out of storage for what you're doing with it.

Since you likely won't want that to be the case, you can perform a backup and a factory reset and restore your backup, but—if this is the typical case—your Other usage won't have been appreciably reduced or will be rebuilt, and the storage dedicated to Other will be ~unchanged.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

May 19, 2021 3:57 PM in response to troubleinrivercity21

I'll assume your iPhone is the 16 GB model, and the reported free space means your iPhone is at (past) its capacity.

You can try the backup-reset-reload-restore sequence linked above, as there's not much else that's feasible here.

That sequence may or may not help you.

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Delete music, movies, and TV shows from your device - Apple Support

A 16 GB iPhone 6s model—if that's the storage capacity you're working with—is at its limit.

In my experience and from other postings around here, iPhone really doesn't work well when it hits its storage capacity.

May 19, 2021 2:07 PM in response to MrHoffman

THanks for the reply. The way I use my phone does not seem to explain why the amount of storage available (.2 Gb) does not increase when I delete over a full Gb in apps and data. The phone does not recognize those deletions despite a restart.

Before the update to 14.5.1 yesterday, my phone worked with the numerous apps that I have now completely deleted. My photos are on i-cloud, I have no books, movies, podcasts, etc on the phone.

Any other thoughts would be welcome.

I have an Iphone 6s. I have updated to 14.5.1 and get a storage full message. Half of storage is "other." Deleting apps and data does not change the space available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.