You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eye strain: Size of icons and font in Big Sur Finder

Does anyone else have this problem? I can't read half the stuff on my new MacBook Air, nor does the system preferences give me a way to enlarge things. Yes I can get reading glasses, but if I don't have them with me the computer is too hard to use. That wasn't the case with older operating systems and my older computers.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 19, 2021 1:40 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 19, 2021 2:01 PM in response to riccardolerner

Apple's products are designed for the eyes of 20 year-olds. If you already use reading glasses, then chances are you will also need to review some of the accessibility options in System Preferences > Accessibility. Unfortunately, font size is a difficult one. Few apps support changing font size. Most apps consider 10pt yellow text on a grey background to be the pinnacle of readability.

May 19, 2021 5:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Optometrists can prescribe a "computer" prescription specifically designed for eyeglass wearers with close-up computer viewing requirements. I have that prescription and can readily see minuscule text on my 4K display.

I have a similar prescription and a pair of top-of-the-line computer readers. I don't wear them. The first pair had crazy progressive lenses that were awful. I got that changed, but there is still something "off" about them. I can immediately feel the extra eye strain when I put them on.

Instead, I have multiple pairs of Scojo "gel" readers anywhere I might need them. There is really no other option. I'm never going to have 20 year-old eyes again. Apple isn't alone in using 8 point, grey-on-grey fonts at every opportunity.

Eye strain: Size of icons and font in Big Sur Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.