You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System text size too small on the '23 MacBook Pro 16 inch at default resolution (but fine on 14 inch).

Hey there - I'm very aware that eyesight varies as do preferences. However I have solid eyesight but find at the default resolution the system/UI text size (say in Notes app far side menu or system settings) on the new 16 inch M2 MacBook Pro running Ventura extremely small. Sharp sure but a strain to read. Whereas the 14 inch is perfectly readable at default. It's frustrating - and sorry yes ableist Apple - that in order to get a reasonable text size I have to pick a lower screen resolution.

I've tried various things but nothing I've found will change system font - there's view options and some weird and kinda useless font stuff in system settings but neither of these will change the aforementioned text as far as I can see.

Searching online has found other people with this issue. I've been trying for three weeks now to see if my eyes get used to it but it's still hard to read.

Any ideas?

Thanks..

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 5:08 AM

<< in order to get a reasonable text size I have to pick a lower screen resolution. >.

When you change text size in

System preferences > Displays

'Default for display' continues to show graphics at the natural full resolution of your display.

When you select SCALED resolutions, TEXT (only) is drawn at a larger resolution (like 1.2, 1.5, or 2x) then scaled down to fit in the space. This retains most of the sharp details of the text.

It is a subtle distinction, but it produces far better results than just changing display resolution.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 25, 2023 5:08 AM in response to fillip_3000

<< in order to get a reasonable text size I have to pick a lower screen resolution. >.

When you change text size in

System preferences > Displays

'Default for display' continues to show graphics at the natural full resolution of your display.

When you select SCALED resolutions, TEXT (only) is drawn at a larger resolution (like 1.2, 1.5, or 2x) then scaled down to fit in the space. This retains most of the sharp details of the text.

It is a subtle distinction, but it produces far better results than just changing display resolution.

Mar 27, 2023 1:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey Grant - ah yes I see that. Thanks. I suppose it's just disappointing to not be able to have more screen real estate and full use of the UI resolution due to the text size being too small at the higher resolutions.. Just a little bigger text like the 14 inch MBP UI and it would be viable. It's seems odd that Apple would assume that the two models should require a different text size at default resolution. I don't know maybe there's something I'm missing!

System text size too small on the '23 MacBook Pro 16 inch at default resolution (but fine on 14 inch).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.