Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font menu scaling on 2K display Mac Mini M1 Monterey - 2K display not Apple

Some time ago asked about font scaling about my ASUS PA278QV 27" (2560 × 1440)

"OS Monterey has Font Scaling, the ability to make menu fonts larger on 4K monitors that otherwise would show too small text

But this Setting is not intended for a 2K monitor, like my 27" 2560 × 1440"

However, I see that in the system settings -> screens there is the possibility (recently? I don't remember seeing it before) to set the resized resolution for example from 2560 × 1440 by default to 2128 × 1197 (HiDPI)

The thing I noticed is that (HiDPI) in brackets.

Does this mean that the resolution is reduced but still uses HiDPI on my monitor too, showing slightly larger texts and menus but still at high quality than the default resolution?

Or is it a feature that only works on Apple screens and a few others?

I used app Betterdisplay to resolve it but lately it creates some issue..

why Apple don't resolve the matter also for 2K monitor not Apple?

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 1:02 AM

I think that you got it right regarding HiDPI. Yes, the whole interface is sized larger (hence, bigger fonts) but the extra resolution allows for more details, both for better display of fonts, and for images and video as well.

Try it out. If you don’t like it, you can always revert to the current choice.

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 15, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

no, as it is now that's fine

I don't understand if this possibility to choose resolutions (HiDPI) was also there months ago when I got the Mac mini or was added in some recent update

For me the concept of HiDPI is a bit complicated, not so instinctive to understand, and there is always the doubt or fear that the images will be rendered at a lower resolution.

If I have not misunderstood each application interprets it differently. Photoshop doubles the standard resolution of 2560 * 1440 to 5120 * 2880, other applications such as Safari and Youtube are not sure render the images equally and correctly

Font menu scaling on 2K display Mac Mini M1 Monterey - 2K display not Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.