Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display scaling on ultra-wide dsplays

Hello,

I've got an LG 35" ultra-wide display (35WN75C-B) connected to my MBP 16" through DisplayPort via a Caldigit TS3. All is fine, picking up 3440x1440 resolution with 21:9 aspect ratio.

But for someone like myself who doesn't have the best eyesight, the fonts are just a bit too small to be comfortable. I was hoping I could just go into System Preferences -> Display -> Scaled and be presented with the "Larger Text" to "More Space" options. But instead, it gives me a list of screen resolution and even if I Option-click and show all possible resolution options, there isn't one option that will give me the ideal font size. It's either too small or way too big. There is a 1600x1200 that actually gives me the font size I want however, this is not 21:9 so pointless for the ultra-wide screen!

Why do I not get the "Larger Text" to "More Space" options i.e. scaling? I'm certain that if it gave me this, I can just select either "Larger Text" or the selection next to it and that would give me the ideal scaling.

And for comparison, I'm running Windows 10 virtual machine under Parallels. And when I go full screen, I can select Windows display scaling and adjusting it to 125% gives me the perfect font sizes.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 2:12 PM

Two software that let you have control over display resolution that are better than built-in Mac OS are SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX. Not sure if either are Big Sur compatible, but if one is, you might want to try them.

The other thing you have to do is make sure your monitor is set for Progressive mode as opposed to Interlaced mode for resolutions.

Lastly Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Accessibility lets you alter the magnification of the screen in multiple ways and gradually.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 2:12 PM in response to slau73

Two software that let you have control over display resolution that are better than built-in Mac OS are SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX. Not sure if either are Big Sur compatible, but if one is, you might want to try them.

The other thing you have to do is make sure your monitor is set for Progressive mode as opposed to Interlaced mode for resolutions.

Lastly Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Accessibility lets you alter the magnification of the screen in multiple ways and gradually.

Mar 3, 2021 4:42 PM in response to a brody

Hi a Brody ... thank you! SwitchResX allowed me to customise the screen resolution. I created a custom 2866 x 1200 which maintained a 21:9 aspect ratio and gives me increase sized fonts! So much easier on the eye!

I didn't try DisplayConfigX as the website looks dated and the latest version makes mention of OS X 10.3.8 :). Although SwitchResX didn't mention Big Sur specifically, the fact it had a note about not all functions were compatible with "Apple Silicon", I figured at least there some sense of currency on their website :)

Thanks again.

Display scaling on ultra-wide dsplays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.