Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear calls on iPhone 12

My spouse has a new iPhone 12 bought on April 28. Over the past few days an intermittent problem is occurring. She can't hear the caller on her phone but they can hear her. Hanging up and connecting again seems to clean up the problem. This is of course very frustrating to have a new iPhone malfunction like this. Would requesting a replacement phone be the solution since it hasn't even been a month?

Posted on May 19, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 5:22 PM

Hello EDL1698,

I will address the possible replacement options but wanted to start with some trouble shooting.

Does your spouse use a bluetooth headset? If so this could be happening based on Call Audio Routing. I cannot find an Apple Support Article about this but you will find the setting via. Settings App > Accessibility > Touch > then the setting is near the bottom of that page. I had some issues with this when I first bough Air Pods. My call audio would go to them unless they were in the charging case or disconnected.

This article has some other steps to trouble shoot. If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

For the repair or replacement option ultimately that is driven largely by your location and various laws. You can check if there is any coverage and what is covered here Find information about your warranty or AppleCare plan - Apple Support. Since the is a very recent purchase it is very likely this will be covered but I obviously cannot guarantee.

I hope this is helpful,

• Scott (he, him)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2021 5:22 PM in response to EDL1698

Hello EDL1698,

I will address the possible replacement options but wanted to start with some trouble shooting.

Does your spouse use a bluetooth headset? If so this could be happening based on Call Audio Routing. I cannot find an Apple Support Article about this but you will find the setting via. Settings App > Accessibility > Touch > then the setting is near the bottom of that page. I had some issues with this when I first bough Air Pods. My call audio would go to them unless they were in the charging case or disconnected.

This article has some other steps to trouble shoot. If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

For the repair or replacement option ultimately that is driven largely by your location and various laws. You can check if there is any coverage and what is covered here Find information about your warranty or AppleCare plan - Apple Support. Since the is a very recent purchase it is very likely this will be covered but I obviously cannot guarantee.

I hope this is helpful,

• Scott (he, him)

Jun 15, 2021 9:09 PM in response to lorcan225

Great question! I have mine set to automatic. When I first bought my Air Pods I believe the default selected was “Bluetooth Headset” which was causing this call audio to rout to the headphones, if they were not in the case.

This is a guess but I believe “Automatic” will keep the audio with the iPhone if it is held up to someones ear. If this persists I recommend running a “test” call between each other. During the call they would want to click the audio bubble from the Phone App. That will show the available audio options for the call and where the iPhone automatically routed the audio. They could then manually switch to a different audio option.

Apple has been pretty on top of using Machine Learning to let the products customize themselves to our natural preferences. After needing to manually correct the routing, a few times, I would expect the iPhone to then automatically start picking your spouse's preferred option.

Can't hear calls on iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.