Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

I keep getting this message when trying to scan from a HP Office Jet 6960 All in one printer to my MacBook Pro. I have reset the printing system and re-added my printer. As before it prints but when I try to scan I get the above message. I am running macOS Big Sur 11.3.1

Can anyone help?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 20, 2021 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 7:11 PM

Hello, PeterRM. Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. We know that being able to scan images with your Mac is important, and we can certainly help you in this situation. 

From what we gather, you are seeing a connection error when you attempt to scan a document to your Mac at this time. It sounds like you have started with some great troubleshooting steps already, and we’re happy to help you continue from here. 

There are several reasons why a connection error may appear when you attempt to print or scan using your Mac. To start, we’d like to help by making sure that your scanner is set up using the suggested steps. The following Apple Support articles will help you ensure that your printer is enabled correctly: 

Set up a scanner to use with Mac - Apple Support

Scan images or documents using your Mac - Apple Support

If you are seeing that your printer has been enabled correctly already, there are more steps to try if you are noticing problems when scanning. Please review the following article for help: 

Solve scanning problems on Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to notice an issue after using these steps, we can help you more. To continue, can you tell us if this printer is connected with a wire, or wirelessly? 

Have you been able to scan images successfully in the past using your Mac? 

If you have any other computers to test with, can you tell us if you’re able to scan images there instead? 

We hope that this information helps you and we look forward to your reply. 

Cheers! 

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2021 7:11 PM in response to PeterRM

Hello, PeterRM. Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. We know that being able to scan images with your Mac is important, and we can certainly help you in this situation. 

From what we gather, you are seeing a connection error when you attempt to scan a document to your Mac at this time. It sounds like you have started with some great troubleshooting steps already, and we’re happy to help you continue from here. 

There are several reasons why a connection error may appear when you attempt to print or scan using your Mac. To start, we’d like to help by making sure that your scanner is set up using the suggested steps. The following Apple Support articles will help you ensure that your printer is enabled correctly: 

Set up a scanner to use with Mac - Apple Support

Scan images or documents using your Mac - Apple Support

If you are seeing that your printer has been enabled correctly already, there are more steps to try if you are noticing problems when scanning. Please review the following article for help: 

Solve scanning problems on Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to notice an issue after using these steps, we can help you more. To continue, can you tell us if this printer is connected with a wire, or wirelessly? 

Have you been able to scan images successfully in the past using your Mac? 

If you have any other computers to test with, can you tell us if you’re able to scan images there instead? 

We hope that this information helps you and we look forward to your reply. 

Cheers! 

May 20, 2021 7:57 PM in response to JJRASC

Thanks for your reply but no that does not solve my issue. I have been scanning wirelessly for 3-4 years without issue. I have been away for a month or two and assume my problems stem from a recent macOS software change? I have installed HP Easy Scan app and it receives the same message as when I try and scan via the printer icon. [Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)]

As mentioned printing is not an issue as I can print wirelessly without any problems. It is almost like the software has "deactivated/blocked" the scanning function on the HP OfficeJet 6960 All in one printer/multi function centre.

May 23, 2021 11:19 AM in response to PeterRM

Thank you for sending us a reply, PeterRM. We’re happy to help you more with scanning. 

To help us learn more, can you tell us if you are able to connect the HP device using a cable connection instead? If so, are you able to scan normally using the wired connection? 

To confirm, have you been able to restart your Mac and printer since first noticing this error message? 

We look forward to helping you more with this. 

Enjoy! 

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.