You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings App Crashes on iPadOS 14.5

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 inch running iPadOS 14.5. I have previously had zero problems, however within the last week, the settings app crashes within 1-2 seconds after opening. I have searched the forums and cannot find a solution that works for me. This problem is becoming so pervasive that I cannot travel with my iPad because I cannot connect to any wifi spots, or do anything that requires the settings app.

Here are some things I've tried without success:

1. Closing out all apps
  2. Hard Re-boot
  3. Connected to my MacBook Pro to try and restore or wipe/restore. After connecting, the automated sync/backup begins. After a couple mins I usually get an error that says "cannot complete backup because iPad was disconnected", however it was not disconnected. I also have an older backup that I tried to restore to, but it says I need to turn off the location services (find my iPad) before restoring. However, that cannot be done because my settings app crashes on the iPad before I can get to the appropriate screen.

Posted on May 20, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 8:16 PM

I put my iPad in recovery mode and tried to restore via my MacBook Pro, but I received another error message. It said an unknown error occurred with error code 1100. 065B.044c. I am now stuck in recovery mode with no way to use the iPad at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Similar questions

17 replies

May 21, 2021 10:17 AM in response to MagnumP45

Hello MagnumP45,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about those difficulties with your iPad Pro.

Are you also unable to update your iPad Pro to the latest iPadOS 14.5.1 using a computer? The second half of Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch covers that process, for reference.

Are all your apps up-to-date? How to manually update apps on your Apple device

Additionally, you can use the steps from this article to remove your iPad from the Find My service using another device: Remove a device from Find My iPhone on iCloud.com

Hopefully those resources put you on the path to getting this addressed.

Take care.

May 21, 2021 12:31 PM in response to MagnumP45

MagnumP45,

If you haven’t already done so, you can also try that process using another cable or computer.

Additionally, you can attempt to put your iPad Pro into recovery mode, and see if you can update or restore from there. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch has the steps. Keep in mind that the restore process would erase your iPad Pro, and return it to factory settings.

Should you still be unable to update or restore your iPad, you’ll want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance: Contact - Official Apple Support

Cheers.

Jun 8, 2021 8:41 PM in response to MagnumP45

Hello Apple Support Team,

I get the same message , when I try to update my iPad Pro 12.9 (2n gen) with my Macbook Pro 13". On my Mac, the latest Mac OS is installed. It would be helpful to know, what kind of failure this message is.

Is there a list, where the message and the meaning of it is listed?

Right now, I am doing the second try to update my iPad Pro via my Mac. The Mac now shows, that the USB equipment will be deactivated because of high power consumption.

Nevertheless, the update to iPad OS 14.6 run successful.

This is a strange behavior...

Kind regads

maiemij

Jun 14, 2021 6:19 AM in response to Andy8787

Apple was unable to help me either. Their only answer was for me to take it into one of their stores to try and diagnose it. I was lucky that after restarting my MacBook Pro and iPad numerous times, it eventually allowed me to do a full restore to a previous backup. I don't know why it didn't work all the other times. I can't explain it, but the fact there is no clear solution really annoys me. Good luck with trying to restore.

Jun 14, 2021 9:32 AM in response to Andy8787

as I wrote above, it would be helpful to know what kind of failure it is. A „hardware failure“ can be a needle lost in space :-/

And, by the way, why was my second try to update my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation successful? it was exactly the same hardware and nothing was changed.

This will be another mystery that only can be explained Apple internal… poor customer, we let you alone with your problem, but please stay faithful… thank you Apple, for nothing…

Jun 14, 2021 10:03 AM in response to maiemij

So I ended up erasing iPad from find iPhone. Then I did a restore iPad. & then updated the iPad. & just started fresh. It worked. I had a lot of storage & used the same cable. When I initially had called Apple support they were no help. Said it was a software issue. & because my iPad was out of warranty I would just had to buy a new 1. I was really sad😔. But I figured it out n the end… I wish Apple took care of its loyal customers better. My house hold gives them lots of money every year

Jun 20, 2021 3:36 PM in response to Andy8787

My iPad has had some difficulties with software updates in the past that required multiple attempts to install, but this week's update has killed it.

Like MagnumP45-

Download, installing--failed. Installing--failed. Installing.......nothing after left plugged into power source for more than 12 hours overnight. Forced restart brings up apple that disappears, then nothing.--no recovery mode screen

So I connected to PC using up-to-date iTunes with multiple cables, multiple restarts--always: downloading, preparing, installing--cannot update. Unknown error (75).

Finally gave up and chose Restore.--repeatedly unable to restore. Unknown error (1100). --no recovery mode screen

I will look into the ramifications of using the erase from find my device on iPhone and see if I can Restore then.

Settings App Crashes on iPadOS 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.