Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 silenced while locked

My iPhone 12 Max will not ring when text messages come in. The ring/silence switch is toggled to ring. Do Not Disturb is turned off. I have the most recent iOS installed. My Apple Watch will vibrate when the message comes in but my phone does vibrate or ring. How can I get my phone to ring with messages when screen is locked? I’ll

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on May 20, 2021 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:13 AM

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, coleyboley!

We see that your iPhone is not ringing when texts come in. We'll be happy to see how we can help.

If you have an Apple Watch paired with your iPhone and the iPhone is locked, then this expected behavior. You can have notifications go to either the iPhone or Apple Watch but not both at the same time. If the screen is unlocked on the iPhone, then you would receive the notification on the iPhone instead of the Apple Watch. The article below explains more about this .

Notifications on your Apple Watch

Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 7:13 AM in response to coleyboley

Hey there, and welcome to Apple Support Communities, coleyboley!

We see that your iPhone is not ringing when texts come in. We'll be happy to see how we can help.

If you have an Apple Watch paired with your iPhone and the iPhone is locked, then this expected behavior. You can have notifications go to either the iPhone or Apple Watch but not both at the same time. If the screen is unlocked on the iPhone, then you would receive the notification on the iPhone instead of the Apple Watch. The article below explains more about this .

Notifications on your Apple Watch

Cheers.

iPhone 12 silenced while locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.