Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost password of Lacie external backup drive, set up with Time Machine

I used Time Machine to setup and backup my MacBook Pro on my Lacie external backup drive, but I no longer recall the password to access the drive. Due to it being encrypted, there is no way of recovering the backup. I would to restore the external drive to factory settings, to be able to use it again.

I contacted Seagate/Lacie support, and since I did the initial backup setup with Time Machine, they advised me to request support on this from Apple Support.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 21, 2021 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 1:03 PM

Ray1822 wrote:

I used Time Machine to setup and backup my MacBook Pro on my Lacie external backup drive, but I no longer recall the password to access the drive. Due to it being encrypted, there is no way of recovering the backup. I would to restore the external drive to factory settings, to be able to use it again.
I contacted Seagate/Lacie support, and since I did the initial backup setup with Time Machine, they advised me to request support on this from Apple Support.

You can try —

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/19.0/mac/10.15

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2021 1:03 PM in response to Ray1822

Ray1822 wrote:

You can try —

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/19.0/mac/10.15

Lost password of Lacie external backup drive, set up with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.