Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Passport / Time Machine

I am having difficulty backing up my MacBook Pro through Time Machine. It worked fine for nine months and stopped doing backups December 8th. Now it asks for my password to access "Backups of Carole's MacBook Pro". I don't know the password. It gives no alternative for "forgot password". Just cancel or enter. I need to back it up somehow so I can take it in for tech support. Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 2:04 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

This means that you turned on "Encrypt backups": Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure - Apple Support.

If you forgot the password, erase the backup drive, Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support, and create new Time Machine backups: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Jack

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 2:04 PM in response to Carole_Ries

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

This means that you turned on "Encrypt backups": Keep your Time Machine backup disk for Mac secure - Apple Support.

If you forgot the password, erase the backup drive, Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support, and create new Time Machine backups: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Jack

My Passport / Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.