Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Midi Setup, and lossless

The new About page does not address whether or not a trip to Audio Midi Setup is still required to permit playback to happen at the file's native resolution.

I realize you don't have to adjust anything in Audio Midi Setup just to PLAY the file.

For example, listening to a 24/96 file from Apple Music isn't going to be a 24/96 file if the software is still transcoding it back down to 16/44 or whatever Audio Midi Setup is set to.

Or did Apple change this behavior?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on May 22, 2021 9:16 AM

Similar questions

22 replies

May 24, 2021 8:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2, I did read that page. The 48kHz sample rate limitation remains a hardware/software limitation in iOS devices.

Macs have long been able to play higher res files, just not natively, unless the user first edits Audio Midi Setup. What you'd otherwise hear is the song rendered as 16/44.

I was just wondering if anyone knew that behavior will no longer be needed, or if Apple merely assumes playing back the file is the same as playing back the file natively. As you say we'll know pretty soon the answer.

May 24, 2021 2:35 PM in response to deckeda

Could this change be a response to a change in hardware? Apple constantly use audio components that support higher resolutions? That is, we know they did, but do we know for certain that they still do?

The question comes to mind because many apple devices don't have d/a converters and amps at all, any more. So they may not be trying so hard there.

And they are now actively trying to sell people devices with external d/a's, such as the airpod and homepod lines. So they are now in a position where it would serve them to incentivise audiphile types to upgrade.

May 24, 2021 3:10 PM in response to sveinbjornp

At the moment I'm really only talking about Macs, which have D/As in them (my M1 Air has a regular headphone jack).

And also, iOS devices don't have the Audio Midi Setup app in question.

I don't recall the details of how this was discovered years ago. I just know several people looked at something and learned that while their Mac was playing a high res file imported into iTunes, it wasn't doing so natively unless Audio Midi Setup was first edited.

May 24, 2021 5:24 PM in response to deckeda

I just really realized what this is really about, since the post doesn't explicitly mention that this is about the new apple music lossless streaming.

I do not have a super high opinion of the Apple Music Mac development process, so I could well believe that they wouldn't think about this particular scenario.

And i don't think they would document it either way.

I can imagine that you might test this by using some sort of audio routing program, like soundflower, see if that will give you the "stream" bitrate.

And another interesting question is where the audio conversion happens. I know that with some bluetooth devices, the bluetooth stream sends over the original compressed file, so it isn't decoded and then re-encoded. So if that is the case, Apple Music wouldn't convert the files into the soundcard spec, the soundcard, or the underlying system, would do that.

So i'd test it if you're really interested, otherwise assume that you should keep audiomidisettings at 96khz. But I'm not convinced that the tiny amp in there will do higher bitrate much justice, just as headphones that give sound real clarity usually need more amplification than that output can offer. Do let me know if I'm mistaken about this, of course.

May 24, 2021 5:58 PM in response to sveinbjornp

And another interesting question is where the audio conversion happens.

Well, it's done in software because whatever is playing back the file needs to send it to the D/A in a way the D/A can physically deal with it. So, somewhere in the Quicktime audio engine.

A stand-alone hardware D/A will almost certainly display the file being sent as confirmation. This is why it's a dead-simple test. Even a cheap D/A will have some way of displaying the sample rate and bitrate of the file it's being asked to play. They depend on that handshake in order to work, so displaying the result at that point is easy.

If someone uses something like Roon, Audirvana (alternative music-playback interfaces) they just bypass all that and process it themselves before sending to whatever the D/A converter is. The inexpensive Bit Perfect app does something similar, except it actually uses iTunes/Music as the player interface.

And of course, this is mostly a curiosity. Yes --- I'd use an external D/A even for 16/44 files if I were serious about it all.

May 24, 2021 6:58 PM in response to deckeda

It is simple, manual fixed output bit rate resolution set in the midi app.. Apple Music currently sends the music file to core audio if the native resolution matches what the midi app output resolution is set to, then it will play it at that resolution. If the midi app output resolution is set higher, then it up converts the file to that resolution. If it is set lower in the midi app,, then it down converts it.

apps like Bitperfecr, Audirvana and Amazon’s music app work by bypassing the fixed output resolution and enable auto adjustment somehow, so the DAC plays at the files native resolution. Much better.

That is what everyone wants/ expects the Music App to do, especially now that Apple is offering HiRez music files.

Jun 7, 2021 10:23 PM in response to deckeda

Apple's support page just says select HiRes in the Music prefs. But I'm using it now and when you play hires content the output from computer doesn't automatically switch to the native audio format. Example, they have Goat's Head Soup featured on Apple Music. It's listed as Lossless and HiRes. The content is 24bit/96k. When I play it nothing changed regarding output to my DAC. It was still sending a 24/48 signal to my DAC. I had to go to MIDI app to change it to 96k. I could just set it to 192 on the MIDI then all content would be upped. But it's weird that as far as I can tell, Apple isn't automatically adjusting the output rate based on the source. They don't tell anyone to go to the MIDI settings to enable the hires. I used to use Bitperfect but I don't think it works anymore on new OS. Makes me wonder is 24/96 is what's really being sent to the audio processing.

Jun 8, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Sean Meredith

Well, if an external DAC reports a 24/96 or whatever signal then that is what the Mac is outputting. The thing is, there's really nothing about Apple's ecosystem to support proper playback of hi res files. They don't sell external DACs nor do they cater in any way to people using dedicated or specialized hifi systems. This hobby has always been a niche within a niche.

As an audiophile I'm glad they offer hi res but at the same time, customers who not only care about that but know how to use it will still need to do whatever they've been doing for years to gain the benefit. The only thing new today is that you can get content from Apple Music instead of another subscription source.

So I'll say this: Millions of people will try their hi res and understandably have zero interest in it because it pretty much won't do anything for them except use extra bandwidth at home unless it's part of a larger investment.

Jun 8, 2021 10:36 AM in response to deckeda

Apple Music does NOT do "EXCLUSIVE MODE"

Meaning, the application itself will not "take over" and stream to your DAC with the native bitrate of the music you're playing via Apple Music.

It will ONLY follow a fixed bit rate which you have set on Audio MIDI Setup for the connected DAC.

For example if you set Audio MIDI Setup for your $15k DAC from Nagra at 96k/24bit, all your music played from Apple Music App on your Macbook will be streamed at 96k/24bit, doesn't matter if the track itself is 44.1k or 96k.

Bottomline, playing music from Apple Music App using a Macbook is not bit-perfect, as it will resampled by whatever fixed setting at Audio MIDI Setup.

Using other player, for example Roon, which has "exclusive" mode will ignore sampling rate setting from Audio MIDI Setup and play tracks matching the material sample rate, up to the max supported bitrate of your DAC.

Playing on iOS, on the other hand, is bit-perfect, aka, no resampling.

Which is a shame on Apple how they have missed this on the MacOS Apple Music app.

Jun 8, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Sean Meredith

I see what you mean, Sean. The confidence would come from understanding that Apple doesn't use competing audio paths in its own software. There are some ways to investigate if what appears to be a hi res stream are indeed legit or merely upsampled, none of which I can recall at the moment.

Incidentally BitPerfect runs for me on my M1 / Big Sur, however I'm not in a position right now to test it playing music through anything.

Jun 8, 2021 2:59 PM in response to deckeda

So now that Lossless audio is now available in the Music app and I have existing ALAC lossless files (CD and WAV imports converted to ALAC and now Apple Music albums).

I have a hi-fi setup with a Mac mini M1, Rotel RA-1572, and B&W 606 speakers. On the Rotel amp, it shows 48K which is referencing the audio midi setup (as default) from the Mac. However if I switch the Audio midi setup to 192kHz - 2-ch 24-bit integer, the amp shows that the Mac is sending the updated bit rate.

so it doesn't seem like automatically in Big Sur and the Music app the bit rate changes. I do have a mix of purchased iTunes albums 256Kbps AAC, CD/WAV files of ALAC 24-bit/192kHz, and now Apple Music files of lossless caliber and set the settings to High Resolution in Music preferences.

any idea on what to do at this point? does the Mac or the DAC sample down or upsample if I pick one of the audio midi configurations? whats the best option to do?

🤔

Audio Midi Setup, and lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.