Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music in MacOS 10.15.7 supports video playback up to 4K and downloads up to HD, so will it support lossless/high res lossless audio?

Music in MacOS 10.15.7 supports video playback up to 4K and downloads up to HD, so will it support lossless/high res lossless audio? Why do you need MacOS 11.4? My 2012 Mac Mini is limited to 10.15.7 and yet it plays my lossless CD rips/high res downloads just fine through a usb dac.

(as an aside, it would be nice if the Mac's Audio Midi set up would automatically adjust to a file's resolution (as do prgrams like BitPerferct, Audirvana etc do) automatically instead of having a fixed resolution)

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 25, 2021 6:23 AM

3 replies

May 30, 2021 5:33 AM in response to turingtest2

I don’t know why either, especially since a computer is the best option for those of us with large music libraries and the fact that the Mac is fully capable of playing hi-res/lossless music files. Phones are great for on the go music (when it could be argued you don’t even need lossless) but I prefer the Mac for listening at home, especially since Apple doesn’t have a hand-off feature like Spotify Connect to liberate your device while playing music. Apple TV’s are inconvenient now that they don’t have a separate audio out, as they practically force you to have your tv on when all you want to do is listen to music. So I applaud Apple for finally giving us a high quality music option, they seem to be unnecessarily limiting its options.

Music in MacOS 10.15.7 supports video playback up to 4K and downloads up to HD, so will it support lossless/high res lossless audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.