Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 2021 buzzing noise

My iMac 24" 2021 is emitting a loud buzzing noise during use. Whether the device is being used for multiple browsing windows and writing simultaneously, or sitting on the desktop not being used after first being turned on.

When I say loud I mean noticeable. If I turn the audio up loud enough it drowns out the noise unless you put your ear down towards the screen. Only ever used MacBooks before and never noticed a noise before even while programming on a MacBook Pro. As I say it isn't noticeable if the audio is loud enough to drown it out but I plan to use this device for writing my novels so I won't have audio playing and that noise will be extremely distracting.

Is this common with iMac's ?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 23, 2021 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 8:39 AM

i'm not fortunate enough to have anything M1, but i'm pretty sure that with only flash storage in them it shouldn't be making any noise. my intel iMac 19,1 is 100% flash storage and it runs absolutely silent. i'm positive that you should be Contacting Apple for support and service. buzzing noises are very likely abnormal.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 8:39 AM in response to Colin-g-davidson

i'm not fortunate enough to have anything M1, but i'm pretty sure that with only flash storage in them it shouldn't be making any noise. my intel iMac 19,1 is 100% flash storage and it runs absolutely silent. i'm positive that you should be Contacting Apple for support and service. buzzing noises are very likely abnormal.

Jun 28, 2021 12:00 PM in response to JoVerb5

JoVerb5 wrote:

Apple, try to fix this please.

it's up to you to contact apple about the buzzing. if you've not noticed in the other responses, (especially the "recommended by apple" response that i gave) buzzing noises ARE NOT NORMAL. you should definitely be Contacting Apple for support and service. it appears that it is an issue that cannot be fixed with a software update. re-read the other posts and you will see what i'm saying. others have been told to return their "buzzing" M1 iMacs. if you choose to not contact apple, that's a mistake on your part.

Aug 30, 2021 11:23 AM in response to Colin-g-davidson

Do not tilt the screen down too far and there have been instances of iMacs over heating when the screen was tilted too far down and blocked the air vents in the back with the stand.

Is it the cable or the receptical in the back? If a cable I'd ask Apple to replace it. If the receptical in the back I'd contact AppleCare for a fix or replacement.

May 23, 2021 11:30 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you. I took your advice and reached out to support. After a little troubleshooting, I managed to see it was the power cable causing the noise. The noise disappears when the screen is tilted down to its lowest angle, lifting it even slightly brings the noise back. It must be to do with the angle the cable is sitting depending on the tilt applied to the screen.

May 24, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Colin-g-davidson

Hi,

thank you for sharing your experience. Guess i have the same kind of problem. just want to ask if your problem can compare to mine?

I've also got the M1 iMac, so I hear a buzzing sound and also can locate it, if I put my ear direct over the ports (behind the screen) iam pretty sure that is the spot where the sounds come from ... so what I have figured out, when I lower the brightness to 85% and below, then you can hear the buzzing sound, but when iam at max brightness it is dead silent.

until now I did not change the power cable position. will going for that.

May 27, 2021 7:49 PM in response to Colin-g-davidson

I have the same issue on iMac M1 (8 Core GPU) and it is driving me crazy. My apartment is very quite and I stay up late at night, which makes the sound even more noticeable. First I thought it was the fan but now I think it is the electronic circuit making humming / hissing sound. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom of the screen, the chin, towards the centre and that's where the logic board is. It starts as the Mac is turned on and is only masked if the speakers are in use, otherwise it does not stop till Sleep / Shutdown.

May 27, 2021 11:28 PM in response to IffyKhan

That’s exactly my case. It’s like a mosquito and it drives my totally crazy (in the silence of my room, mainly at night). I’m almost sure it’s caused by the LCD inverter. A solution could be installing a little app which reduces the brightness of the display (leaving the brightness bar at the maximun in the Mac settings) but I’m not gonna spend this amount of money on a faulty Apple device! Today I’m gonna give it back to the Store…

May 28, 2021 12:59 AM in response to Colin-g-davidson

Just to give everyone a followup based on some of the user replies.

The noise is not expected. The iMac ads running at 7db while browsing the web are accurate. My system at idle runs at 33db.

Support is going to replace my iMac but it is such a strange incident that they are working to have the device switched out to them instead of a standard return/replace with the store as they say sometimes they don't get devices back that way so can't investigate.

I sent them a video of the issue and the sound is definitely not the fans, the fans apparently are the only 2 moving parts.

The brightness trick does not work for me and tilting the screen also no longer affects it as it had before.

In summary, if anyone has an issue, just contact support. If you don't have Apple Care you still have 2 months from the day of purchase as complimentary cover.

May 28, 2021 8:17 AM in response to hcsitas

Disabled Ethernet but that did not make any difference. I have found a temporary fix but it is not the ultimate solution. By disabling auto brightness and increasing brightness level to about 75-80%, the noise goes away. It will keep the display at fixed brightness but at least I don't have to listen to those annoying sounds anymore till I can get in touch with Apple.

imac 2021 buzzing noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.