Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5s ios 12.5.3 Unable to Activate

My iPhone was rendered useless when this update came out.

Every attempt to update on the iphone failed with the typical "Not Connected to Internet" issue.

So I followed the typical support recommendations

• delete update
  • download again

This did not work

I then hooked the phone up to iTunes and it appeared to download successfully.

Although the phone was showing 12.5.3 there was still no service. I then followed the next recommendation which was to backup and restore. In order to do this, it was recommended to disable find my device/iphone.

I am now stuck at the setup screen which says

Unable To Activate

An update is required to activate your iPhone.

Learn more at apple.com/uk/support

iTunes is stuck:

Why would you release an update that renders the phone useless?

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:52 AM

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 1:52 AM in response to taarik7

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

May 23, 2021 1:52 AM in response to taarik7

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

May 24, 2021 8:51 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks, but all other devices on the network are definitely connected to the internet (including the macbook pro I am using to type up this response). The iPhone 5s has wifi reception. I confirmed that the mac address in use by the iPhone 5s is on the whitelist on my router. So this does not appear to be a connectivity issue.

iPhone 5s ios 12.5.3 Unable to Activate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.