Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens with the data on a replaced hard drive?

I had to send in my MacBook Pro because of a damage by water. As I've always got backed up my data on several time machine disks loss of data is of course not an issue. So without any further thought I've brought in the Mac to the Genius Bar and they replaced several parts, including the mainboard – with the hard drive on it.

Now I have some concerns about the data on this drive. How trusty is it that Apple destroys the board or deletes all data in an absolute secure way? Is it possible that someone might get hands on this data, which would be a desaster... ?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 23, 2021 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 6:06 PM

I get it. First thing I activated now on the repaired MBP is FileVault. Thank you guys for opening my eyes. It never was an issue as my previous MacBooks always had built in replaceable hard drives which I could have removed before sending in.

10 replies

May 23, 2021 12:44 PM in response to markus_4x4

markus_4x4 wrote:

Yes, I got the general concept here. But given the specific case, that the Mac was sent in to an Apple repair center. Is there a standard procedure in place to save the customers privacy? (regardless of a residual risk of course)

Apple is not here. You will have to contact Apple to have them explain their servicing processes to you.

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

But I am pretty sure Apple is not responsible for the security of your data on devices submitted to them for repair.

May 23, 2021 12:19 PM in response to markus_4x4

markus_4x4 Said:

"What happens with the data on a replaced hard drive?: Now I have some concerns about the data on this drive. How trusty is it that Apple destroys the board or deletes all data in an absolute secure way? Is it possible that someone might get hands on this data, which would be a desaster... ?"

-------

Was this Encrypted?:

No on here would have any knowledge of where this all stands. But, if it were secured (via encryption), then all should be just fine, as a password would likely be needed. So, take this as a lesson, knowing to encrypt your hard drive. If it were destroyed by water, then Apple would likely not have been able to access it.

May 23, 2021 12:26 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

This was not possible because the mac would not run flawless anymore. It was booting but then crashing. So some parts were still functional. I didn't encrypt because of many reports of massive performance loss. And because of the SSD bonded on the board it is not possible to remove it – which is a huge flaw by the way. Thanks for your response, but honestly this is nothing to ease my mind now ...

May 23, 2021 12:32 PM in response to markus_4x4

You have two choices, encrypt the data while the drive is working or don't. If you do encrypt, your data will be safe. If you don't encrypt your data is subject to compromise.

If you consider the fixed in place SSD a "huge flaw", get a computer that does not have the SSD fixed to the logic board. Apple's design of a fixed SSD appears to be working for them.

May 23, 2021 12:57 PM in response to markus_4x4

markus_4x4 Said:

"What happens with the data on a replaced hard drive?"

-------

View Terms & Conditions:

View any eMail you have about this. See if you can find the Terms & Conditions mentioned on it. It would likely have a statement sorts about data management when sending in a device. It would be considered a liability concern on Apple's part, and if so, would be something you would have agreed to upon sending in your device for maintenance.

What happens with the data on a replaced hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.