Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop: do both computers need to be running the same iOS

AirDrop noob here: I'm having difficulty moving files from my desktop to the laptop using airdrop. Both have bluetooth active, so I am wondering if the problem is the desktop is running Big Sur and the laptop is running Catalina.

The difference between the two has caused some iCloud issues, which is why I am not using it in this situation (Also, I want to preserve the filing system I have in place). So, I'm wondering if that same problem is the reason I can't get AirDrop to work. That or I'm just dum.

I have been following the steps listed below. Also, I have noticed on my desktop (Big Sur), the laptop shows up in the AirDrop Finder window; however, the reverse is not true.

Use AirDrop on your Mac to send files to devices near you

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:52 PM

I just verified that I can use AirDrop between two of my Macs; one running Big Sur, and the other, High Sierra, so I don't think the issue is different OS versions.

Take a look at the following support article to double-check you didn't miss anything when attempting to use AirDrop:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 7:52 PM in response to hoopsmiller

I just verified that I can use AirDrop between two of my Macs; one running Big Sur, and the other, High Sierra, so I don't think the issue is different OS versions.

Take a look at the following support article to double-check you didn't miss anything when attempting to use AirDrop:

AirDrop: do both computers need to be running the same iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.