Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad battery help

Coming by again to ask this, but is my iPad battery doing OK? It's an iPad Pro 9.7 inch from 2017 with about 4 years put into it. For the most part, I have taken good care of the device (aside from accidentally leaving it somewhere hot for 5 minutes) and I'm wondering if it's just time to schedule a repair since it's a still-supported iPad or to replace it with a newer one entirely. I have since done everything I can to maximise battery usage, such as setting mail from push to manual-fetch, disabling all notifications unless for necessary apps, disabling background refresh, lowering brightness, disabling Airdrop, etc. It used to be able to get 10-12 hours of use each day from 80-30% mainly 6-8 hours on average since I use this iPad with a lot of heavy CPU/GPU intensive apps, programmes and games, and now it gets about 4-5 hours on average. So far, battery isn't too damaged as the UI still runs smoothly and nothing has any major performance issues, most if not all high-intensity apps run without major performance discrepancies. Could this just be wear and tear for having it for so many years, poor app optimisation for this model? or is there an actual battery problem going on?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on May 23, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 1:01 AM

All rechargeable batteries have a finite life. Every recharge reduces the overall battery capacity by just a little - and over time the reduction in battery capacity becomes noticeable.

Apple rate iPad batteries to retain 80% of their initial capacity after 1000 full charge/discharge cycles.

If you are concerned about your iPad battery performance, before committing to spending any money, you would be well advised to directly contact Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic. This will test many aspects of your iPad, including the battery - and the results may better inform you next steps. You can contact Apple Support using the Get Support link at top-right of this page - or initiate a case using the excellent Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Alternatively, you can take you iPad along to your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to fully test and assess your iPad. Making a reservation is recommended:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If you elect for battery service, for qualifying devices and in lieu of an actual battery replacement, Apple will often offer an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification. The cost is the same - typically the local currency equivalent of $99 USD plus tax.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 1:01 AM in response to dolchini

All rechargeable batteries have a finite life. Every recharge reduces the overall battery capacity by just a little - and over time the reduction in battery capacity becomes noticeable.

Apple rate iPad batteries to retain 80% of their initial capacity after 1000 full charge/discharge cycles.

If you are concerned about your iPad battery performance, before committing to spending any money, you would be well advised to directly contact Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic. This will test many aspects of your iPad, including the battery - and the results may better inform you next steps. You can contact Apple Support using the Get Support link at top-right of this page - or initiate a case using the excellent Apple Support App:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Alternatively, you can take you iPad along to your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to fully test and assess your iPad. Making a reservation is recommended:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If you elect for battery service, for qualifying devices and in lieu of an actual battery replacement, Apple will often offer an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification. The cost is the same - typically the local currency equivalent of $99 USD plus tax.

iPad battery help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.