Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails opening blank

Why do I get so many emails that open and are completely blank? This happesn more and more, and is now happening even with previously open ones, that I've left open! Aside from tens of thousands of my email messages suddenly disappearing, then reappearing, this is now adding to my dismal experience of using Apple Mail. WTF is going on???

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:35 PM

Saxman Said:

"Emails opening blank: Why do I get so many emails that open and are completely blank?[...]Aside from tens of thousands of my email messages suddenly disappearing[...]"

-------

Two Things:

A. Blank eMails:

Does this happen on all devices? Do you see this when you directly log in to the eMail provider on their Web site? If not, then it is an issue with your current user on device. If so, then it is something you should ask your eMail provider about.

B. Lost eMails:

You likely are running out of space, and your eMails are being deleted to make room as more and more come in. Remember that you are only granted a certain amount of space. So, are these actually in your eMail account when you visit the Web site of your eMail provider?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 7:35 PM in response to Saxman

Saxman Said:

"Emails opening blank: Why do I get so many emails that open and are completely blank?[...]Aside from tens of thousands of my email messages suddenly disappearing[...]"

-------

Two Things:

A. Blank eMails:

Does this happen on all devices? Do you see this when you directly log in to the eMail provider on their Web site? If not, then it is an issue with your current user on device. If so, then it is something you should ask your eMail provider about.

B. Lost eMails:

You likely are running out of space, and your eMails are being deleted to make room as more and more come in. Remember that you are only granted a certain amount of space. So, are these actually in your eMail account when you visit the Web site of your eMail provider?

May 26, 2021 6:57 AM in response to Saxman

Saxman Said:

"Emails opening blank: [...]So yes, they are in my eMail account on the website, it's only on my Mac they disappear, sometimes as I'm in the middle of reading or replying to one!!"

-------

What to Do:

Being a continuum of errors, then here is what to consider....

A. Boot Into Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: the shift key upon boot]. Keep holding it down until you reach the log in screen. Then, log in, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally. In Safe Mode, damaged system files (i.e. caches) are fixed, and replaced.

B, Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

C. Try New Admin User:

On your Mac. try creating a new Administrator User, and see if you can configure it with the new user. If it then works, then it is likely something configured in your current user. Delete the user when all is fixed.

D. Reinstall the MacOS:

So, as a last resort, reinstall the macOS. You would backup your Mac, and then reinstall it. Nothing would be removed. It's just that items that have been moved or corrupted, would be placed back to where they should be or replaced, respectively. But, more on that later, if it comes to that. I look forward to hearing back from you. Keep us up to date. Important: Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Use an external drive at least 1.5 times the size in storage capacity.

E. Time Machine Backup Restoration:

Have a backup that you created prior to all of this happening? If so, restore your Mac from it.

May 26, 2021 5:03 AM in response to TheLittles

1. I don't know if it's happening on my laptop, since I don't have Mac Mail handling my Gmail messages, I go online to see them, and online, they're always there. And they open fine on my Android phone as well. The second half of your response is very confusing, first you say if I don't have this issue when I go to the mailbox online, then it's an issue with me on this device. But then you say if it is, then I should ask my eMail provider about it. If the issue is me on this device, then why would it be Google's issue, would that be the case if it was happening online, too?

What's going on? Everytime I try to put "2." and respond, it automatically becomes a number one! Don't know what that's all about....smh

So anyway, for Number Two: Running out of space where? Is there a limit to how many emails I can have in my Mac Mail box? I have plenty of hard drive space, so what space would I be running out of? If you mean online, I have half the mailbox there still unused, so it's not running out of space there. Plus, the messages aren't actually being deleted, they disappear, and then at some point, they come back. Unless of course they're all deleted, then somehow all re-downloaded from online, but from what I've been told, they aren't even literally on my computer, since it's a IMAP account, which has always confused me.

Like when I bought a new computer, and thousands of messages did disappear. Apple told me that the reason trying to put them back via my backed up folders, was that they really weren't in them, which of course, still doesn't make sense to me. Not sure why this is all so confusing and not straightforward... So yes, they are in my eMail account on the website, it's only on my Mac they disappear, sometimes as I'm in the middle of reading or replying to one!!

Emails opening blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.