Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just got 6 gen apple tv and No 4K format available. No issue with gen5.

Gen 5 has no problem connected to Denon to Sony XBR900F. Gen 6 only shows 1080p and lower. Tried getting high end Audioquest HDMI 8k/10k cable connecting directly from Apple TV to Sony with no luck. Tried unplugging the TV for awhile (comment from Reddit) and still no 4k setting. The video setting screen is also lacking other option settings. At this point I'm of returning the Apple TV.

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 9:36 AM

I had to input the serial number of my Apple TV before I got call back from Apple support. On the box next to the s/n label, it says 1080P.

Holy cow, gen6 comes in 1080P only model too. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on Apple web site. It's advertised as Apple TV 4K!!!

Now I have to go back to Apple store to exchange it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 9:36 AM in response to tos56

I had to input the serial number of my Apple TV before I got call back from Apple support. On the box next to the s/n label, it says 1080P.

Holy cow, gen6 comes in 1080P only model too. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on Apple web site. It's advertised as Apple TV 4K!!!

Now I have to go back to Apple store to exchange it.

May 24, 2021 10:18 AM in response to tos56

Which Apple TV model specifically did you get. If you only the HD model of the Apple TV, yes 1080P is what it will output to. If you DO NOT have a 4K TV and you have confirmed you have a 4K Apple TV then the output will be 1080P. Your output will be limited by the weakest link in the chain:

• Do you have an Apple TV 4K model?
  • Do you have a 4K TV?
  • Are you using a 4K HDMI cable and have it connected?

If any of the above answer is no, then you will not get 4K content.

May 24, 2021 12:30 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I didn't know that gen6 also came in only HD model. I went to Apple store and had to be assigned a sales person and she got me the Apple TV without asking me HD or 4K version. Spent the whole day troubleshooting and getting new high end HDMI cable. Returned it today, but 4K was sold out so I have to wait to have it shipped.

Just got 6 gen apple tv and No 4K format available. No issue with gen5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.