Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open a APP in a specific monitor

I have a monitor connected to my mac. I would like to know how do I, when opening an app, open it directly on a specific monitor?

I saw something right-click show options to open in a specific desktop, but for me, this option doesn't appear.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 24, 2021 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 12:35 PM

One other thing to note, is that you must have a minimum

of two Desktops available on the second display (three is better

if you already have an app open on that display). I believe part

of that may be due to the possibility of apps in full screen mode.

6 replies

May 24, 2021 8:36 AM in response to EduCarreiro

I saw something right-click show options to open in a specific desktop, but for me, this option doesn't appear.

In Mission Control System Preferences, do you have Displays have separate spaces selected? That is the only way to treat the two monitors independently. If you have it unchecked, then the two monitors are a single display and there is no way to separate the two.

If you don't want them as separate displays, an App should open its windows in the same place the last window was closed, but that is entirely app-dependent.

May 24, 2021 10:54 AM in response to EduCarreiro

The solution Barney indicated is fine, and works if you always want an application in a specific display.

There is also an option to open an application in a specific display at some point in time, without assigning it in the Dock.

Click on an empty area of the menu bar on the display you want, then start the application via Spotlight.

For example, say I wanted to start Safari on my external display:

1) Click on the menu bar on the external

2) Press command-space to open Spotlight

3) Type, e.g., Saf and press enter

Open a APP in a specific monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.