Move to other screen keyboard shortcut

Do we have possibility to move application window from one monitor to another using keyboard shortcut?

I've been investigating the topic and found out that it could be set up using monitor name. But I have two different monitor models at home with different names, and also work in coworking quite often where names of the monitors are defeer.

Is it some other option similar to Microsoft Windows keyboard shortcuts "Win+ LeftArrow" \ "Win + RightArrow", which simply moving window in a loop through all available screens?

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 3:36 AM

YES, there is a way - at least if the screen keeps the same name.

You may notice that is just about any Mac application there is a "Window" menu, and in there you will see "Move to ..." commands, where the name of the display(s) is/are shown.

For example, I have a Samsung display "SMBX2431" and also an iPad as additional displays for my mac.

Since the current window is in the built-in display, this is what I see in the Window menu:

You may have noticed that I also have a Keyboard Shortcut assigned: Command-Option-Control-LeftArrow.

And it works, too!

All that I had to do was adding the shortcut in System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 3:36 AM in response to semouk

YES, there is a way - at least if the screen keeps the same name.

You may notice that is just about any Mac application there is a "Window" menu, and in there you will see "Move to ..." commands, where the name of the display(s) is/are shown.

For example, I have a Samsung display "SMBX2431" and also an iPad as additional displays for my mac.

Since the current window is in the built-in display, this is what I see in the Window menu:

You may have noticed that I also have a Keyboard Shortcut assigned: Command-Option-Control-LeftArrow.

And it works, too!

All that I had to do was adding the shortcut in System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts:

Oct 12, 2023 4:00 AM in response to semouk

semouk wrote:

My main concern, that screen are not keeping the same name. So every time I'm attaching new display I should go through this annoying process again.

Not if you regularly connect to the same displays. You can set shortcuts for them and they will still be there the next time. You can (probably) even assign the same shortcut: for example, say you have a display "A" at home and a display "B" at work; you can assign the same shortcut to "Move to A" and "Move to B" as they are not going to exist at the same time. No need to do anything further.

Of course this does not work when you attach a completely new display, but how often are you going to do this?

There may be a way to capture the name of the displays and programatically create the shortcuts, but I am afraid that the work to figure this out is likely to outweigh the benefits.

Move to other screen keyboard shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.