Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add a hotkey combination to move an application to adjacent monitors

It would be very helpful to add a hotkey combo like Windows has via the Windows+Shift then left/right arrows to move application windows to adjacent monitors. I have a dual monitor setup and its annoying having to right-click the application and change the monitor each time. Since working from home now exclusively, I typically have my work laptop on a given input to one monitor and need to access a window on the Mac side. This means changing inputs on the monitor manually, which isn't very ergonomic.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 10:28 AM

It is a bit unclear what you are saying, but it seems that you have two computers attached to the same external monitor, is that right?

You can move a window to a different display on a mac with having to drag it.

If you notice the Window menu on just about any application, there is an item "Move to (name of display)" - for example, with the window I'm writing in Safari, the Window menu shows:

Where the options are in this case my external monitor and the iPad that I also have connected.

You can take a note of the exact text of this command - eg "Move to SMBX2431" in my case - and add a keyboard shortcut in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts

Now to move the front window to that display - even if it is not showing the mac interface at the moment, all you have to do is press the shortcut.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 10:28 AM in response to JohnS85

It is a bit unclear what you are saying, but it seems that you have two computers attached to the same external monitor, is that right?

You can move a window to a different display on a mac with having to drag it.

If you notice the Window menu on just about any application, there is an item "Move to (name of display)" - for example, with the window I'm writing in Safari, the Window menu shows:

Where the options are in this case my external monitor and the iPad that I also have connected.

You can take a note of the exact text of this command - eg "Move to SMBX2431" in my case - and add a keyboard shortcut in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts

Now to move the front window to that display - even if it is not showing the mac interface at the moment, all you have to do is press the shortcut.

Add a hotkey combination to move an application to adjacent monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.