Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari running processes

I performed a new install of Catalina and before I started Safari I checked to see if any safari process where running and none appeared as expected. When i started Safari and closed it after use, the following process continued to run even though Safari was not running.

com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service

SafariBookmarksSyncAgent

com.apple.Safari.History

Why are these process running? What do they do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 24, 2021 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 10:35 AM

These are perfectly normal, and unless they are using an inordinate amount of CPU resources (which they usually don't) there is absolutely no reason for any concern.

If you open Activity Monitor you will find dozens, perhaps hundreds of processes.

That's part of the OS normal function, and most of us don't know what they're for - nor do you need to care.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2021 10:35 AM in response to macfrombrampton

These are perfectly normal, and unless they are using an inordinate amount of CPU resources (which they usually don't) there is absolutely no reason for any concern.

If you open Activity Monitor you will find dozens, perhaps hundreds of processes.

That's part of the OS normal function, and most of us don't know what they're for - nor do you need to care.

May 25, 2021 12:58 PM in response to macfrombrampton

macfrombrampton wrote:

Absolutely I know better.

Any process that does not perform a function and is running slows your processor and your reduces your battery life.

Except that those processes are getting 0.0% cpu when Safari is off. So no impact on processor or battery. You can provide Product Feedback to Apple about this, https://www.apple.com/feedback/ but I doubt it will be high on their list to "fix" since 0.0% has zero impact so why would they expend company resources to address. Also, Catalina is not getting any more updates, just Security Updates, nothing more, as the current system is Big Sur and there will be yet another new OS probably released this fall.

May 26, 2021 8:24 PM in response to macfrombrampton

You are still focusing on something that uses 0.0% (on my Mac) of your computer's resources when Safari is not running. You are free to comment or ask about whatever you wish in these posts, but it's 0.0%! It is likely that Apple's programmers arranged those process to "hibernate" (using 0.0%) when Safari is quit, if it is faster to awaken them from hibernation than restart them from being completely off. If you look carefully, I think you may find other items that are similar. So users don't complain "my computer is slow when I open Safari ..." We don't know, and I'm speculating, but back in my software development days, we often did things like that because users preferred the more responsive systems. On my Mac those processes use 0.0% when Safari is off. You might consider focusing your attentions on something else?

safari running processes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.