Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro mid 2012 become very slow after updating to mojove boot up time is 2min and 30 sec how can i increase its boot time speed my harddrive is empty

my hard drive is 500gb and just mac os is installed no software is installed in my mac but the boot time after upgrading to mac os mojave it become very slow any sloution??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 25, 2021 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 11:25 AM

If the computer was not ordered with a different drive option the the entry level, or has not been treated to an aftermarket faster drive solution, it is your hard drive. Apple uses a slow, 5400 RPM drive rated at SATA 3GB/sec in a computer with a fast SATA 6GB/sec drive bus. Adding RAM will make zero difference in your boot time if you still have the slow factory hard drive.

I have the same computer and upgraded it to a solid-state drive at home about three years ago. To demonstrate how RAM and then a fast SSD affect app load times. I have this data from my MBP13 2012:

Base system as shipped:

4GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office 2008 and Photoshop Elements 12 took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

First upgrade, RAM:

8GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

Second upgrade, inexpensive solid-state drive

8GB RAM and fast SATA 6GBps SSD: Office and Photoshop Elements take under 4 seconds to be ready to use.

The boot time is now quite fast but I've not checked in lately

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 11:25 AM in response to umair282

If the computer was not ordered with a different drive option the the entry level, or has not been treated to an aftermarket faster drive solution, it is your hard drive. Apple uses a slow, 5400 RPM drive rated at SATA 3GB/sec in a computer with a fast SATA 6GB/sec drive bus. Adding RAM will make zero difference in your boot time if you still have the slow factory hard drive.

I have the same computer and upgraded it to a solid-state drive at home about three years ago. To demonstrate how RAM and then a fast SSD affect app load times. I have this data from my MBP13 2012:

Base system as shipped:

4GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office 2008 and Photoshop Elements 12 took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

First upgrade, RAM:

8GB RAM and slow SATA 3GBps 5400rpm hard drive: Office and Photoshop Elements took 15-18 seconds to be ready to use.

Second upgrade, inexpensive solid-state drive

8GB RAM and fast SATA 6GBps SSD: Office and Photoshop Elements take under 4 seconds to be ready to use.

The boot time is now quite fast but I've not checked in lately

my macbook pro mid 2012 become very slow after updating to mojove boot up time is 2min and 30 sec how can i increase its boot time speed my harddrive is empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.