Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing sound plugins

Hello,

I have had a sound output plugin named "Extention Recording Driver" on my computer for a while now. It appears in the drop down list when selecting the sound output. I can't remember what I installed to get it on my system, but it was when I was trying to find out how to record system audio. I removed soundflower a while ago but I've not been able to find the process to get rid of this "Extention Recording Driver" in the library/plugins directory as there is nothing with that name and I don't want to delete the wrong kext file(s).

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying process? It keeps switching now and then to this recording driver automatically too.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 25, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2021 8:46 AM

You may find some extensions in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Extensions, and under Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Security and selecting the left hand side panel items until it appears. Unlock the padlock to remove or disable.

Backup your data if it is still stuck, and then, use Devon Technologies EasyFind to locate the files relevant to the extension in safe mode (holding shift key at startup).

https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware

Note, you will need to reveal in the Finder any item that requires a password to remove. The program does not do that for items that require special permission. Be mindful you aren't deleting any essential files.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2021 8:46 AM in response to SirSmithy

You may find some extensions in Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Extensions, and under Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Security and selecting the left hand side panel items until it appears. Unlock the padlock to remove or disable.

Backup your data if it is still stuck, and then, use Devon Technologies EasyFind to locate the files relevant to the extension in safe mode (holding shift key at startup).

https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware

Note, you will need to reveal in the Finder any item that requires a password to remove. The program does not do that for items that require special permission. Be mindful you aren't deleting any essential files.

May 25, 2021 9:00 AM in response to SirSmithy

From the Finder, HIT Shift-Cmd-G and TYPE:

/Library/Extensions

Then inside that folder, look for a "Soundflower.kext" file. If there is one, DRAG it into the trash (you may be asked for the admin password)

REPEAT THE ABOVE STEP, typing in this folder path:

/System/Library/Extensions

also in those extension folders, look for anything that has "Extention Recording Driver"

Then, empty your trash and restart your mac. 

in some cases there's a terminal command that you need to use, but in most cases, it's not necessary. if you do need the terminal command:

OPEN THE TERMINAL APP (found in /Applications/Utilities/)

Type this line, entering your password when asked.

sudo touch /Library/Extensions/

Restart your mac.

May 25, 2021 9:36 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I removed soundflower. I think it was part of some other program though I can't remember what it was now. Sorry, the file is actually called "Extented Audio Recording Driver." Nothing shows up in the finder. I've already look thoroughly through the extensions in the library/extensions directory and there is nothing called Extented Audio Recording Driver.

All that is there is:

AppleMobileDevice.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR

SoftRAID

CaptoDevice

Neither is there anything located in the extensions within system preferences. If traces of it are located somewhere else I have no idea what name it goes under.

Upon running the sudo touch /Library/Extensions/ I wasn't able to enter my password into the terminal.

Removing sound plugins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.