Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Shuts Down After Booting

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Serial Number: C0***G5J

This MBP shuts down (the screen goes blank) immediately after I boot it. Often I leave it to sit for a few days, unused, and not plugged into the charger. Hit the power switch, boot up, log in and the screen goes black.

I assume the battery is completely drained, but yesterday when it happened I plugged in the battery charger and it came back to life. The battery indicated 57%.

What gives?

For a while, I just assumed the battery drained by itself while sitting there, unused, not plugged into the charger. Seems odd, though, that it would drain after a week or so.

System Information indicates the battery is fine.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Manufacturer: DSY

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 901

Hardware Revision: 2

Cell Revision: 1734

Charge Information:

Fully Charged: Yes

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6267

State of Charge (%): 100

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 23

Condition: Normal

What am I missing or overlooking? Anything?

This MPB is in fantastic condition, I purchased it NEW and it has very low miles on it.

Thanks!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 25, 2021 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2021 10:32 AM

Hey there, Tom Hanser!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your MacBook is shutting down unexpectedly, but your battery seems to be in great condition. We'll do all we can to help!

To clarify, does your Mac display a message after it restarts? If so, what exactly does it say? Are you using an Apple certified charger and power adapter? Have you tried using another cable to test with?

Also, we recommend using the following troubleshooting resources that help with power related issues:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support

If the issue persists, try resetting the SMC which should help with power related issues:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update for continued support.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Tom Hanser

Hey there, Tom Hanser!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, your MacBook is shutting down unexpectedly, but your battery seems to be in great condition. We'll do all we can to help!

To clarify, does your Mac display a message after it restarts? If so, what exactly does it say? Are you using an Apple certified charger and power adapter? Have you tried using another cable to test with?

Also, we recommend using the following troubleshooting resources that help with power related issues:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

If your Mac restarts and a message appears - Apple Support

If the issue persists, try resetting the SMC which should help with power related issues:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Feel free to post an update for continued support.

Take care!

MBP Shuts Down After Booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.