Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air Pink Screen Crashing

I received this M1 MPA a couple days ago. It's a 16RAM version with 7 core GPU. This Mac seems to be constantly crashing every two hours or so showing a pink screen and a reboot. Is there any solution to the issue or should I return it?

Here's the log.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on May 26, 2021 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2021 4:12 AM

Apple silicon - Safe Mode

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

And Test if the crashing continues. If not - there might be a User Account issue

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2021 4:12 AM in response to HarrisonYeo

Apple silicon - Safe Mode

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

And Test if the crashing continues. If not - there might be a User Account issue

May 27, 2021 6:09 AM in response to HarrisonYeo

What P Philips said.

Did you migrate from a previous mac? If you did and if the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, please run Etrecheck and post its full report here using the additional text button button your message area.

For future reference: when upgrading to a new mac or a new OS you should always ONLY migrate the user accounts and nothing else.

If the problem persists even in Safe Mode, you may want to use the 14 day window to return it. There is always a chance (slim but nonzero) that you have gotten a defective one.

Jun 23, 2021 1:30 AM in response to rrussell04

Some question and same advice as to the OP: if this also happens in Safe Mode, and if you are inside the14-day window, return this mac as it is probably a hardware issue.

If you migrated stuff and the problem does not happen in Safe Mode, then it is more likely to be a software issue, and then an Etrecheck report posted here may lead us to the cause.

Jul 1, 2021 5:12 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My MacBook Air M1 was bought in November 2020 and it's been performing well until this problem began to persist. While I can't recall if I was using airplay the first time this happened, it's possible I was mirroring to an Apple TV as it's something I do daily.

A few days later, after chatting with Apple Support and right before considering taking the device to an Apple Store, I opened the lid and the screen turned on, working again like normal. This lasted an hour at most before going dark again, stuck in a boot loop ending each time with a brief flash of a pink screen then crashing. I also can't remember if airplay was involved this time around.

Realizing the hardware was still functioning, I used another Mac and Configurator 2 to perform a full restore while the MacBook Air was in DFU mode. During the process, the Apple boot screen reappeared and everything seemed to be going well. I started reloading software and using the machine like normal for a good few hours. This time I was definitely mirroring to the Apple TV. All was fine until after a period of inactivity, the device went to sleep. After pressing a key to get it going again, I found the device stuck on the black screen once again.

I've since contacted Apple Support and will be shipping the device for repairs once their packaging arrives.

Aug 9, 2021 10:44 AM in response to HarrisonYeo

Hello everyone, I am a new macbook user, got the basic M1 macbook air version for work and I have been trying to adjust both to the OS, as well as the unfortunate bugs, and mind you im talking about the updated 11.5 version of big sur: wireless connections, external displays, pink screen, sleep mode waking up, ive battle my way through mostly everything.

I logged here to reply because I saw a lot of patterns considering my problem with the pink screen crash & reboot:

1) Mirror displays m1 with my eizo 2760

2) Youtube tab in default player mode in safari

3) It's happened with or without a usb hub so I think its more likely correlated to the above setup rather than hubs

I do not have Zoom app installed in my device. Concerning the patterns: most times ive had the pink screen was facing the open youtube tab with the default video player while working. It's like its triggering it.

But now for the tricky part: because I mostly use the macbook with external display and connected to power, I think I have also come to the conclusion that mirror displays is the primary triggering factor. I mostly use the mac in clamshell mode because i dont really use its retina display use to size, but i know for a fact i mostly became aware of the issue while using the mirror displays mode ( i had to test the battery draining and thus couldnt use clamshell mode because it was unplugged from power)

I have worked my way through ALL sorts of usb hub and external display issues that I didnt have time to work with the pink screen crash, but the above points I mentioned (mirror display + youtube) do really stand out since dont use the macbook for anything else other than safari + MS office.

As for the problems ive experienced ill just note them here to give people more keywords to search for:

1) usb hubs draining battery power

2) external display problems with HDMI (spoilers, prefer cables and ports in this order: thunderbolt>usb-c>displayport>hdmi and directly unto the TB ports on mac, not hub)

3) favor mac verified wireless peripherals, mostly bluetooth ones

4) external monitor not waking up due to hub/cable/port

Hope this helps., thanks for any feedback.

Sep 1, 2021 7:02 PM in response to rdbstl

Nothing to do with Zoom here. Mine started crashing rebooting randomly a few weeks back. Screen freezes, about a minute later pink screen flash, then reboot. Did diagnostics and came up "no issues" ADP000.

Seems to be a hardware issue so will need to send it in for repair/replacement. Just started a few weeks back (early August), bought new in the spring.

Sep 23, 2021 4:28 AM in response to rdbstl

I am having the same issue with an M1 Air. Happens randomly, screen flashes bottom right hand side has a pink block and the computer reboots, I am connecting to an external screen and it happens randomly and I have noticed it has happened several times when clicking on YouTube videos, but I am on YouTube all day so not sure that has anything to do with it. Happens about 2-3 times a week.

Oct 2, 2021 9:16 PM in response to HarrisonYeo

This also happens to me, and mostly in situations not previously mentioned on this thread. 2020 M1 13” Macbook Pro 16GB / 1 TB, Big Sur 11.4. It mainly happens to me when I’m running Pro Tools - which has always been known to stop responding, especially on M1 machines, when running a lot of stuff that takes up the CPU. But it will also happen in other situations. Like for example right now, it just happened when I was trying to eject an external drive, it wouldn’t eject, then everything stopped responding (including Finder and it wouldn’t force relaunch either), and then pink screen and then shut down. Eeesh. Happens to me about two or three times a week. I wonder if the pink screen has anything to do with it, or if it’s just shutting down for various reasons and the pink screen is an incidental detail with these new M1 machines. I don’t know what I’m talking about though, just taking shots in the dark. Would love to know if anyone from Apple is aware of this issue.

M1 MacBook Air Pink Screen Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.