Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Graphic Flash on Log Out

Has anyone else noticed that if you change your desktop picture to anything besides "Big Sur Graphic," when you log out of your user account the "Big Sur Graphic" desktop picture quickly flashes before changing back to whatever picture you set for your desktop?

I set my desktop picture to "Catalina - Light (Still)" and now that Apple has allowed our Login Screen picture to match our desktop picture (instead of being "Big Sur Graphic" as it was in earlier versions of Big Sur) I notice that when I log out it quickly shows the "Big Sur Graphic" picture before returning to the "Catalina" picture. It also happens with any other desktop picture I set.

Here is a short video clip of it happening:

https://youtu.be/BSVT2sZj0H4

I admit this is a minor issue, but it is annoying none the less. If others are experiencing this same problem I will notify Apple of the bug. If it's just me, does anyone know how to prevent it?

I upgraded to Big Sur 11.4 from Catalina 10.15.6. I'm using a 27-inch 2020 iMac. Thanks for your help!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 28, 2021 12:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 28, 2021 7:09 PM in response to Wengro

Hi there Wengro,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It looks like you are having a short flash of a different background than you expect when logging out of your Mac. Does this issue continue when restarting the Mac? What about if you log in to a different user account? If you don’t have another user account to try, see how to create one here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

We hope this helps!

May 29, 2021 10:52 AM in response to Wengro

Cheryl_l1, thanks for the reply!

I do NOT see the Big Sur Graphic background if I RESTART the Mac - I click the restart button, my desktop icons, dock and menu bar disappear, showing only the current desktop background "Catalina - Light(Still)" then the screen goes to black and the restart occurs - all totally normal.

I created a second user account, and YES, if I log out after having two (or more) user accounts, the login screen background picture is the (apparently default) Big Sur Graphic background. It will stay on this background until I click either of the two users, at which point it will change the login screen background to match that of whichever user is selected. Again, if no user is selected and I'm seeing the list of all users, it's the Big Sur Graphic background for that.

So it appears that when I have a single user account and log out from that, the Mac is briefly flashing the Big Sur Graphic background before it checks that I only have one user account and then quickly sets it back to the background that matches that account's background.

STRANGELY, I have noticed since creating this thread and experimenting, that when I am logged in and choose SHUT DOWN, instead of seeing a flash of the Big Sur Graphic background (probably because I'm not logging out to the login screen), my "Catalina - Light (Still)" background briefly displays as HALF LIGHT and HALF DARK (left and right sides) before going to black and turning off. I'm guessing this is because I have the Catalina Dynamic Desktop image selected even though I have it set to "Light (Still)" to always appear light. I am trying to grab a video of this, but it doesn't happen every time I shut down - I will post it when I can capture it!

It seems as though I am experiencing the behavior that is being widely observed and discussed in this Community Support thread:

Solution for changing Big Sur login wallpaper to custom.

Perhaps I will join in on that thread instead of continuing this one, as it looks to be the main discussion on this issue.

May 30, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Cheryl_I1

Yeah, I figured it was nothing to worry about. It hasn’t interfered with performance at all and has only happened since I updated to Big Sur, so I’m guessing it’s just a result of some of the kinks that still need to be ironed out.

I haven’t tried Safe Mode, but now that you mention it I’ll give that a shot and report back on what I see.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Cheers!

Big Sur Graphic Flash on Log Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.