Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magsafe2 adapter amber light is always on

By magsafe2 adapter is working fine, but the amber light is always on. It's on when the battery is charging and it's on when the battery is fully charged. I've tried another magsafe2 adapter to the computer and the same thing happens. So there's something in my computer that prevents the light on the adapter from turning green when fully charged. I can't figure out what to do about this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 28, 2021 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 12:30 PM

grammarphobia wrote:

I reset the SMC but it didn't help.

Well you never say what exact Mac this is...however older Macs especially the mid 2012 work horse is of the age where the DC- in board can were out, and this can cause issues.

This is a replaceable part, however the entire logic board does have to be pulled to replace it. For a ~$50.00 check-in deposit they will run a diagnostic—at that point you decide if you want to proceed. Figure 10 days to bench, and a one day turn around if the part is available.

My experience Parts & labor ~ $115.00 USD

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

If not under warranty any computer repair shop familiar with Macs can do the job.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 12:30 PM in response to grammarphobia

grammarphobia wrote:

I reset the SMC but it didn't help.

Well you never say what exact Mac this is...however older Macs especially the mid 2012 work horse is of the age where the DC- in board can were out, and this can cause issues.

This is a replaceable part, however the entire logic board does have to be pulled to replace it. For a ~$50.00 check-in deposit they will run a diagnostic—at that point you decide if you want to proceed. Figure 10 days to bench, and a one day turn around if the part is available.

My experience Parts & labor ~ $115.00 USD

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

If not under warranty any computer repair shop familiar with Macs can do the job.

May 28, 2021 11:04 AM in response to grammarphobia

grammarphobia wrote:

By magsafe2 adapter is working fine, but the amber light is always on. It's on when the battery is charging and it's on when the battery is fully charged. I've tried another magsafe2 adapter to the computer and the same thing happens. So there's something in my computer that prevents the light on the adapter from turning green when fully charged. I can't figure out what to do about this.

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

May 29, 2021 8:21 AM in response to grammarphobia

The LED on the MagSafe is controlled ENTIRELY by the computer. It only turns on, at the color the computer tells it to, when the computer tells it to turn on.

So if the LED flickered or did NOT light at all under any circumstances, that could be a problem in the MagSafe adapter. What you describe is an issue inside your computer.

How is your battery holding up? Time for a replacement battery?

My Magsafe2 adapter amber light is always on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.