Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone volume lowers when a text message or email notification is being displayed on the screen

I have an iPhone XS MAX running the latest IOS14.6.

Anytime I am on the phone and a text message or email notification is displayed on the top of the screen the phone volume level lowers and then returns to normal once the popups are gone or I swipe upwards to get rid of them faster.

I don't recall how far back it was when I didn't see this issue, maybe ios13.

A quick fix is to slide the side lever on the iPhone down putting it into silence mode while talking to someone. Not a fun thing to remember or due.

Anyone have a fix for this or can point me in the right direction?

iPhone XS

Posted on May 28, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 1:06 PM

That is a featured called Attention Aware. If it knows you are looking at the screen it will quiet sounds because it knows you are aware of them. If you don’t like it go to Settings/Accessibility/Face ID & Attention and turn it off.

4 replies

May 28, 2021 1:00 PM in response to jengel59

jengel59 wrote:

I have an iPhone XS MAX running the latest IOS14.6.

Anytime I am on the phone and a text message or email notification is displayed on the top of the screen the phone volume level lowers and then returns to normal once the popups are gone or I swipe upwards to get rid of them faster.

I don't recall how far back it was when I didn't see this issue, maybe ios13.

A quick fix is to slide the side lever on the iPhone down putting it into silence mode while talking to someone. Not a fun thing to remember or due.

Anyone have a fix for this or can point me in the right direction?

That is how it work, when you receive a notification you look at your screen, assuming you have face id enable, it recognizes that you've seen the notification, so it no longer needs to ring at a high level.

iPhone volume lowers when a text message or email notification is being displayed on the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.