Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail not accessed by mail in MacBookAir (M1)

I added my Gmail account to my Apple mail account on my new MacBook Air (M1). It shows as if it is there, but no mail has been imported & I cannot send or receive. Properly logged on & confirmed with Google. Is there a way to force synchronization? There is a ~ inside a circle instead of a number as there is on my other accounts. Advice?

Posted on May 28, 2021 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 7:30 PM

Your Mail app is not connected to your GMAIL account. That symbol is telling you that there is no connection. One good indication of that is the inability to send and receive emails.

If you are not using the GMAIL app or the GMAIL web page then you will require an app-specific password. Your original GMAIL password will not directly work when input in the Apple Mail app. You will need to enter the GMAIL app-specific password instead during the setup of the GMAIL account.

Please click here ➔ To learn How to create App-Specific Passwords in GMAIL.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2021 7:30 PM in response to drbobdr

Your Mail app is not connected to your GMAIL account. That symbol is telling you that there is no connection. One good indication of that is the inability to send and receive emails.

If you are not using the GMAIL app or the GMAIL web page then you will require an app-specific password. Your original GMAIL password will not directly work when input in the Apple Mail app. You will need to enter the GMAIL app-specific password instead during the setup of the GMAIL account.

Please click here ➔ To learn How to create App-Specific Passwords in GMAIL.

Axel F.

Gmail not accessed by mail in MacBookAir (M1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.