Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock Hiding and Not Showing on Mouse-over

Sometimes, after waking up my MacBook the dock wont show. I've been having this problem since updating to Big Sur. Is anyone else having this problem?

It comes back if I go to the system preferences and changing the magnification or uncheck and recheck "Automatically hide and show the dock."

I've tried deleting the "com.apple.dock.plist" file from the Preferences folder but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 28, 2021 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2021 3:08 AM

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, 

and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache,

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2021 3:08 AM in response to Micah Bauer

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, choose “Restart” at the bottom.

Quote:

Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software when it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, 

and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility.

And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache,

which will be created again automatically as needed.

Jun 5, 2021 2:40 PM in response to dominic23

Thanks for the help.

I restarted in safe mode and it seemed to work, but since the problem isn't persistent it was hard to tell if it actually did anything. After restarting the problem returned.

I suspect that it has something to do with installing the desktop version of Google Drive, but that's a total guess and I can't confirm it. Hopefully someone else with this same problem will see this and we can figure it out.

Dock Hiding and Not Showing on Mouse-over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.