Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock does not autohide on restart

I always keep my dock on auto-hide mode on my MBP. I've recently upgraded the OS to Big Sur. After the update, whenever I restart my laptop, the dock appears automatically and does not autohide.

Even after I open any applications, the dock does not auto-hide. System preference setting still seems to be checked on for auto-hide. But everytime I restart, I have to use the right-click on dock -> Turn Hiding On option. I thought this was an OS bug which would be resolved, but I don't see this reported anywhere.

Please let me know if you have faced similar issue and have found a fix.

Laptop details:

Macbook Pro. 13 inch. 2017 Model. 8GB RAM & Intel i5 processor.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 1:26 AM

A good method involves using a Safe Application listed below >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck https://etrecheck.com directly from a well respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 1:26 AM in response to mac-user-76

A good method involves using a Safe Application listed below >>

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck https://etrecheck.com directly from a well respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Oct 22, 2021 2:17 AM in response to mac-user-76

Does this issue presented when booting into Safe Mode. Restart computer and immediately hold the shift key until the Apple Logo appears, then - release.

Safe Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and eliminate all Third Party software, extension and fonts from loading. The startup will be slow - normal. Once Logged into the computer - run in this mode for 35 - 7 minutes just as long a needed to test if the auto-hide dock issue is tested.

Should the issue not be present in Safe Mode - this could be an indication of a User Account issue or could be a piece of Third Party software interfering with the normal operations of the OS.

To exit Safe Mode - just restart the computer normally.

Dock does not autohide on restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.