Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

80% Charging bug in iOS 14.6

I recently update my iPhone 11 Pro Max to iOS 14.6. It has got a bug. Since then it does not charge beyond 80% or even if it does in actual the battery percentage does not increase beyond 80%.

Is anyone else facing the same issue?

I would like to request Apple Support to look into this matter and release an iOS update as soon as possible.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on May 29, 2021 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 7:42 AM

talbinzal wrote:

I don’t charge overnight that is why “Optimized Battery Charging” was not activated.

The absolute best way to improve the life of your battery long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the night the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern.

It has the added advantage that if you enable automatic backup your phone will be backed up overnight, so you will not risk losing more than 1 day’s data updates.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2021 7:42 AM in response to talbinzal

talbinzal wrote:

I don’t charge overnight that is why “Optimized Battery Charging” was not activated.

The absolute best way to improve the life of your battery long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the night the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern.

It has the added advantage that if you enable automatic backup your phone will be backed up overnight, so you will not risk losing more than 1 day’s data updates.

May 30, 2021 2:27 PM in response to talbinzal

Leave it on the charger longer. If you have Optimized Charging turned on, that is intended to be used when charging overnight (which is the best practice for charging). If you are not charging overnight you should probably turn off Optimized Charging.

But if you fast charge the phone it will stop at 80% to give the battery time to cool off. It will resume later and continue to 100%, but at a much slower rate to avoid overcharging. This may be what you are seeing also. So either way, leave it on the charger for a couple of hours after it stops at 80%.

Jun 6, 2021 7:55 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I believe there is a bug in Optimized Charging on iPhone and AirPods Pro. After installing iOS 14.6, AirPods ignore their own dedicated toggle off for Optimized charging and freeze at 80% informing you they’ll charge overnight. Which stinks when you have to get on a plane NOW and won’t have overnight to charge. And for iPhone 7, the power meter is haywire. I’ve shown 1% power for 2 hours and every reboot results in 30% or more charge. It drains and then it recharges. It drains on the charger. It’s bonkers. I’m guessing Optimized Charging is fouling this up also.

Jun 25, 2021 11:22 PM in response to talbinzal

So mine was not a bug actually. Apparently the phone was not heating up so I did not get to know that it was cooling down. Since the summer had started, it was going up to 80% really fast and then it had to wait for a while to cool down.

I would advise to put it on charge in a cool room and see what if it works.

80% Charging bug in iOS 14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.