Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro constant low volume on FaceTime calls

I have a new 12.9” iPad Pro 2021. When I listen to music or play a video I can easily control the volume from either control center or the volume buttons. But when I’m on a FaceTime call the volume is very low and doesn’t change no matter what I do.

I tried lowering or raising the volume during a call and it doesn’t affect the volume whatsoever. The volume bar moves up or down but the call sounds constantly low.

I tried restarting the iPad including a reset. I’m using the latest iPad OS.

Couldn’t find much information about this issue online. Any solutions?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 29, 2021 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 3:17 AM

Okay after contacting Apple Support I managed to solve the issue!

I have seen this issue all over the internet with no solution so here it is:

How to change FaceTime / Zoom / Skype video call volume on iPad?

While on a FaceTime call, I went to Settings > Sounds and moved the Ringer and Alerts volume up and down. This “unsnarled” the volume. Then I used the volume up and down buttons to move the call volume up and it finally resolved!

Another point is that call volume is controlled differently than videos and other sounds as it has separate speakers - according to the Apple support guy who helped me. So only when on calls you can control the call volume using the volume up and down buttons. Ringer and Alerts volume is connected to the same speakers so can cause this issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2021 3:17 AM in response to rose_10

Okay after contacting Apple Support I managed to solve the issue!

I have seen this issue all over the internet with no solution so here it is:

How to change FaceTime / Zoom / Skype video call volume on iPad?

While on a FaceTime call, I went to Settings > Sounds and moved the Ringer and Alerts volume up and down. This “unsnarled” the volume. Then I used the volume up and down buttons to move the call volume up and it finally resolved!

Another point is that call volume is controlled differently than videos and other sounds as it has separate speakers - according to the Apple support guy who helped me. So only when on calls you can control the call volume using the volume up and down buttons. Ringer and Alerts volume is connected to the same speakers so can cause this issue.

May 30, 2021 10:32 AM in response to benda1

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities benda1,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the iPad Pro Volume. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist in getting this resolved for you.  There are a couple things to troubleshoot so we can further isolate the issue. Does the issue only occur with one contact or multiple? Does the issue occur when on iPhone, or is the device WiFi-Cellular? Does it happen with headphones or when you are using the speaker or receiver? If in a case, is it blocking the speaker? Do you have the headphone volume limited, Settings > Sounds > Reduce Loud Sounds.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Adjust the volume on iPad

We have included links to the information to possibly resolve the issue. But, if not, feel free to contact us back with the information so we will be better able to assist.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

May 30, 2021 11:55 AM in response to Leanne_68

Hi thanks for replying.

It happens with all contacts. I’m using the iPad’s speakers and mic so no headphones. No case on it, using the Apple magic keyboard case. The iPad is wifi so it only calls FaceTime on wifi. It doesn’t happen when I FaceTime on my iPhone, only on the iPad.

I checked the settings but there weren’t any that might apply.

May 30, 2021 3:00 PM in response to benda1

benda1,

Thank you for the additional troubleshooting steps and getting us more information. Based on what you have said, we would recommended trying without the keyboard connected, making sure when your holding it that your not covering up the speakers as well. Our only other option would be to contact Apple Support from the link below and advise them of the troubleshooting steps you have done so far.

Get Support

Best regards.

iPad Pro constant low volume on FaceTime calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.