Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook 2017 won't connect to ASUS display using USB-C

Hi. I recently bought an ASUS PA247CV display to use with my 2017 MacBook. It was advertised as connecting for A/V and power through USB-C. But when I connect the computer to the display using a USB-C cable, it doesn't work. I briefly hear the beep as if the MacBook is being connected to power, and the charging icon appears in the top info bar, but after a second or two the connection is lost and the charging icon disappears. The display itself reads "USB-C No Signal" even though USB-C is set as the input.

When I asked ASUS support about this in a live chat they said to ask if my MacBook supports DP Alt Mode, and that if it does, the display should be plug and play, with no need for drivers.

I have no idea whether my MacBook supports DP Alt Mode. A quick Google search leads me to believe no Macs support this, but I'd appreciate any additional color.

If I can't connect via USB-C for A/V and power as hoped for, is there a way to still use this display? Perhaps with an adapter for another connection type like HDMI from the USB-C port on my MacBook? Or should I return it?

Thank you!

Posted on May 29, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 12:08 PM

Hi there, natebernstein! Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are looking for some help with your Mac and an external monitor. We definitely understand that not being able to use your newly purchased display can be a concern and we'd love to help. We have a few articles that may help with setting up your external monitor to work with your Mac and clarify the technical specifications and requirements: 

To answer your question, Macs do not support DP Alt mode over USB-C, but the article listed above should help with working out how to use your external display with your Mac. Please let us know if you have follow-up questions about this issue, or if the issue remains unresolved. Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 12:08 PM in response to natebernstein

Hi there, natebernstein! Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. 

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are looking for some help with your Mac and an external monitor. We definitely understand that not being able to use your newly purchased display can be a concern and we'd love to help. We have a few articles that may help with setting up your external monitor to work with your Mac and clarify the technical specifications and requirements: 

To answer your question, Macs do not support DP Alt mode over USB-C, but the article listed above should help with working out how to use your external display with your Mac. Please let us know if you have follow-up questions about this issue, or if the issue remains unresolved. Have a great day!

Jun 17, 2021 4:28 AM in response to natebernstein

In case anyone else is having this problem, I solved it by buying a USB hub with an HDMI output. I now plug that hub into the USB-C output on my MacBook, then connect the display via HDMI to the hub and it works fine. It would be better if Apple supported DP Alt Mode, which is what allows a computer to both connect a/v and be charged via one USB-C connection with the display. But the silver lining is that the USB hub I bought has an input for a wired Ethernet connection, so I have a more-stable internet connection on my MacBook while working.

May 31, 2021 11:28 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks but this doesn’t help. When I click on “specifications” under “About this Mac” in settings (as recommended in the first article you cite) I get a “cannot load page” error on Apple’s website. I’ve done a bit more research and it seems I may need a hub with both HDMI and usb-c outputs so I can connect the MacBook to the hub, then the hub to the display using HDMI and then the MacBook’s power cable into the usb-c input on the hub. Would appreciate any further thoughts from the community here. Thanks.

MacBook 2017 won't connect to ASUS display using USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.