Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove songs from playlist but not library

On iPhone 12, IOS 14.6, got Apple Music subscription last month and since then have not been able to remove songs from my playlists without deleting them from my library and having to re-add and re-download them. There is no option I can find to simply remove from the playlist.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on May 29, 2021 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2021 3:39 PM

Such a garbage problem. Have no idea how to get these songs back now or which ones I even deleted. Do these people even use their own app? Seriously, things like "play last" instead of an add to queue, now this crap? What a joke, I might just to switch back to spotify at this point

71 replies

Jun 15, 2021 5:11 AM in response to CarlAVII

I understand that clicking the three dots and editing the playlist will remove songs from specific playlists; however swiping left on songs within playlists BEFORE the update would do this more efficiently. Now that they replaced the word ‘Delete’ with the trash bin icon, I assumed it would be the same effect but NO! I went through a couple of weeks before realising I was deleting songs from my library !!

Why would they remove such an efficient feature?? Who in their right mind would think that people would want to remove songs entirely from one specific playlist!

May 30, 2021 2:26 PM in response to reid172

Hi reid172,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you attempt to remove a song from a specific playlist it remove the song from your library completely, is that correct? How are you deleting it? Are you selecting the 3 dots at the top right, selecting "Edit" and then selecting the minus sign next to the song instead of selecting the song and selecting "Delete From Library"?

Check out the steps in the user guide under the section titled " Edit a playlist you created on iPhone": Create playlists on iPhone.

Hope that helps!

Jun 30, 2021 7:44 AM in response to TristanBro

I have no idea how to get these songs back now. When I go into the iTunes Store the affected songs show as “purchased” if I search for them in the store, but they don’t show under my purchased song list in the “more” section. I have no idea how to get these songs back or even begin to identify which songs were deleted. Infuriating. Anyone have any idea?

Jul 5, 2021 8:05 PM in response to M5328

Hey all! I had the same experience - here's what I did to re-download the songs:

First I figured out which songs I had deleted by noticing certain albums were missing tracks. I also tried to think about which playlists I edit a lot and what would be on them...

To re-download them, I had to search for the songs individually in the ITunes Store app on my phone. Once they showed up in search , I clicked the little price and authorized payment. Then I got a "you already bought this, click here to download again" message and downloaded from there!

Note that I could NOT re-download them from my purchases list or from finding the whole album in the ITunes Store! Only via searching for individual songs in the ITunes Store 😵‍💫😵‍💫 definitely some BS.

Anyways I hope this helps!

Jul 7, 2021 2:55 AM in response to TristanBro

I have the same understanding. Apple removed functionality on mobile to remove specific songs from playlists without removing them from the library. This was previously possible mobile. Now it's not and what looks like the same feature achieves what it is I'm trying to avoid: remove song from library.

I did this and then had to spend a few hours recovering music as normac0_0 describes below.

Would be great if this capability could be added back to mobile. Having to manage playlists on desktop devices only is a step backwards for the service.

Jul 11, 2021 11:22 AM in response to reid172

Yes, this happened to my wifes extensive playlist. Chatted with a apple tech, they seem to have no idea that this issue is even a problem.

She was do frustrated she showed me on my phone. One of my playlist had the same song seven times. Deleted one instance of the seven in play list, all seven instances disappeared as well as from my library.

Notice to apple: if you think you are going to get me to commit to Apple play by screwing up our 15 years of purchased music with you.

Then you are wrong. The music play from Big A and the Spot are now on my preffered go to.

FIX this! We did not screw up playlists , you did. We do not need to go back through

for hours trying to repair your mistake.

if you move my music, I move my money!

Remove songs from playlist but not library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.