Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No photo streaming

Hi

I have iMac 5K 2020 and I use photos version 6 as my main photo app.

However, I noticed after the last updates to 11.4 that the ability to sync photos in live streaming has dissappeared from the app (attached screenshot).

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday in iPhone 12 pro and when I checked them in iMac, I found that they were not synchronised. (Im using same apple ID, same wifi to connect all my devices).

I hope someone can help me. Also, I use external SSD for the photo library, can that be the issue?

Thanks in advance

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 30, 2021 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 1:12 PM

Yes if you disable iCloud it will stop iCloud working.

But if you are using iCloud to sync your photos, you don't need photostream. As long as all your devices are connected to iCloud everything will sync automatically - assuming you have an iCloud plan with enough space for your complete library.

In fact if you use both iCloud and Photostream it is likely to cause other problems, such as duplicating photos. This is most likely why it is no longer possible.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 1:12 PM in response to maharitho

Yes if you disable iCloud it will stop iCloud working.

But if you are using iCloud to sync your photos, you don't need photostream. As long as all your devices are connected to iCloud everything will sync automatically - assuming you have an iCloud plan with enough space for your complete library.

In fact if you use both iCloud and Photostream it is likely to cause other problems, such as duplicating photos. This is most likely why it is no longer possible.

May 30, 2021 8:34 AM in response to maharitho

You have iCloud photos enabled.

If iCloud photos is enabled, then photostream is disabled. You probably need to disable it there in that screenshot, and in system preferences.

Bear in mind though that photostream is being gradually phased out. It doesn't support all features of new photo formats, and is not available at all to new apple accounts. This may be a good time to switch to syncing via iCloud.

Regarding the external SSD - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

No photo streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.