Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stuck halfway between Light mode and Dark mode

My iPhone is stuck halfway between Light Mode and Dark Mode. See image below.

Anyway to fix this?

iPhone Xs Max

iOS 14.6

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 31, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 10:01 AM

This issue has persisted since late May (after I updated to iOS 14.6) and rebooting and other attempts to fix it did not correct the problem.

To my great surprise, when I got my iPhone off the charger this morning, the issue was fixed. I did not update iOS, but somehow the issue was fixed. Light mode and Dark mode settings now work as expected. I was planning on initiating a support incident today, but now this is no longer needed.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 10:01 AM in response to MichaelB2019

This issue has persisted since late May (after I updated to iOS 14.6) and rebooting and other attempts to fix it did not correct the problem.

To my great surprise, when I got my iPhone off the charger this morning, the issue was fixed. I did not update iOS, but somehow the issue was fixed. Light mode and Dark mode settings now work as expected. I was planning on initiating a support incident today, but now this is no longer needed.

Jun 1, 2021 9:20 AM in response to kschmucker

Hi kschmucker,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your iPhone being stuck between Light and Dark Mode.

For reference, here is the support page on Dark Mode: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

When did you first notice the issue?

Does it continue after restarting the iPhone?

Let us know further details.

Have a fantastic day!

Jun 1, 2021 3:53 PM in response to MichaelB2019

Thanks MichaelB. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I first noticed this issue after upgrading to iOS 14.6.
  2. Restart does not fix the issue. Turning on Dark mode and then going back to Light mode does not fix the issue.
  3. I called this "halfway between Light and Dark" because changing to Dark mode does make things darker, but then changing to Light mode does not go back fully to Light mode.

I actually wondered if this was a design change in iOS 14.6, but no one else seemed to be talking about it, so I assumed it was not the normal, expected behavior in iOS 14.6

I am happy to change some settings and then post a screenshot of the result, if that might help anyone diagnose the issue.

My iPhone still works, but it just looks strange: halfway to Dark mode.

Looking forward to any other suggestions.

Kurt

iPhone stuck halfway between Light mode and Dark mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.