Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off subtitles being on by default?

I downloaded the new Apple TV app for Android TV (Hisense H9G/Q9G). Subtitles are on for all Apple TV+ trailers and episodes by default; there's no way to turn them off in Settings, only change their appearance. You can turn off subtitles per episode, but if you ever stop the stream and start again later, they come back.

HiSmart4KA4FFM,

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:01 AM

The Apple TV app usually doesn’t have in-app subtitling/closed caption on|off settings, when that is controlled for the device as a whole (every app). See if that applies to the Android version too.

Apple TV app user guide for smart TVs and 3rd party streaming devices - Apple Support

5 replies

Jun 8, 2021 2:26 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I don't have an Android phone, and have never downloaded the Apple TV app for Android (as it didn't exist) when I did own one. The Apple TV For Android TV app is the only version of the app aside from my iPhone that I have used. It defaults to subtitles being on for every single show. How do I turn them off?

In addition, The Accessibility settings on my television that configure subtitles are off. Subtitles still appear for every video on Apple TV For Android TV, including purchases. I am not going to use this app if subtitles are going to be on by default every single time I press play when my iPhone does not have this issue at all with the Apple TV For iOS app. No other third-party video streaming service has this issue.

How do I turn off subtitles being on by default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.