Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to setup an account in mail for my .mac address

I have had a .mac email address for years but have not been able to get it set up in mail for some time on any machine or phone.

I go into accounts, add new account, enter email address (which is the one for my apple id) and my apple id password which I have treble checked is the correct one and I get "Unable to verify account name or password".

Are .mac email addresses obsolete? Is there a different password for the email and apple id? If so where do I change it and if it depends on my getting emails to the .mac address that is not going to work.

Do I have to create an icloud email and if so do I then have to go an change the email on my apple id to the icloud email and change all the logins where I have used the .mac address?

Spent the afternoon on this task that should be soooo simple and admitting defeat. Anyone any suggestions or information?

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 9:56 AM

All @mac.com and @me.com addresses are merely aliases to your iCloud email and have been so since the fall of 2012. They are not standalone email accounts. Their incoming emails will be found in your iCloud email inbox.

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

Note however that if your AppleID was your @mac.com address prior to 2012, and you did not migrate it to iCloud before the fall of 2012, then you no longer have a functional address for email with that @mac.com address. It would still work as an AppleID but it would no longer be a functional email address.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2021 9:56 AM in response to Phoebe Bright

All @mac.com and @me.com addresses are merely aliases to your iCloud email and have been so since the fall of 2012. They are not standalone email accounts. Their incoming emails will be found in your iCloud email inbox.

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses - Apple Support

Note however that if your AppleID was your @mac.com address prior to 2012, and you did not migrate it to iCloud before the fall of 2012, then you no longer have a functional address for email with that @mac.com address. It would still work as an AppleID but it would no longer be a functional email address.

Unable to setup an account in mail for my .mac address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.