Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update email account password (or create email account)

This issue is with my iMac running macOS 12.0.1 and my Cox email account. Cox recently required me to update my email password. I did so. Mail would not accept the new password. When I tried to enter it, I was told "This account already exists." This was true whether I tried to enter the new password through mail's account menu or through system preferences.

So, I deleted the account. Made sure my software was up-to-date and restarted my computer. Now, mail will not allow me to add the account. I get the same error message: "This account already exists."

The new password works just fine with my IOS devices, just not on my iMac. The email address for this account is the one I use as my Apple ID. Any suggestions?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 6:27 AM

I found the solution: Because this email account was used for my Apple ID AND my iCloud ID, and because several apps were signed into iCloud, the OS wasn't letting me delete the email account. I had to first delete iCloud using Internet Accounts in System Preferences. This also completed the deletion of the email account. Then, I could add back the email account and reinstall iCloud. Everything is working as it should, now.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 6:27 AM in response to DK Walser

I found the solution: Because this email account was used for my Apple ID AND my iCloud ID, and because several apps were signed into iCloud, the OS wasn't letting me delete the email account. I had to first delete iCloud using Internet Accounts in System Preferences. This also completed the deletion of the email account. Then, I could add back the email account and reinstall iCloud. Everything is working as it should, now.

Unable to update email account password (or create email account)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.