Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow (jerky mouse, delayed mouse clicks) Mac - Big Sur

I downloaded EtreCheck, and pasted the result in PasteBin "Slow MAC Big SUR"

EtreCheck didn't find any major problem, and yet, the behavior continues.

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 2:55 AM

They say, "All's well that ends well."

In this case, I was at work at all day, the computer was off.

First thing, when I got home, was download and run Malwarebytes - it found nothing.

And the computer was "back to normal."

This is a happy ending -- and unsatisfying just the same, as I have no explanation for what was wrong, and what changed.

Apple did issue an update to Mac OS yesterday -- did that do something ?

Thank you @rkaufmann87 for being so willing to help with specific information.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 2:55 AM in response to rkaufmann87

They say, "All's well that ends well."

In this case, I was at work at all day, the computer was off.

First thing, when I got home, was download and run Malwarebytes - it found nothing.

And the computer was "back to normal."

This is a happy ending -- and unsatisfying just the same, as I have no explanation for what was wrong, and what changed.

Apple did issue an update to Mac OS yesterday -- did that do something ?

Thank you @rkaufmann87 for being so willing to help with specific information.

Jun 3, 2021 7:06 AM in response to joesmoe3

Okay, please try this:

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Jun 2, 2021 3:38 PM in response to joesmoe3

Please uninstall:

• Nord VPN per the developers instructions. Totally unnecessary and adds no additional layers of security to Mac OS. Then restart in Safe Mode and then restart normally and finally retest. If that does not solve you problem please answer:

• It looks like you installed the Nord VPN software yesterday, was that an update or a brand new installation?
  • Are you accessing any external HD's using a network connection?
  • Why is one of your EHDs formatted as MS DOS FAT 32?
  • Please describe how all the external HD's are connected to the iMac, for example some direct to the iMac using USB cables, a hub, if a hub please describe if it is a USB bus powered HUB, USB Hub with own external power supply, etc...?

The more details we have then the easier it is to troubleshoot.

Jun 3, 2021 7:12 AM in response to joesmoe3

The only malware available for Macs must be installed by the user. This can occur by:

• Falling for scams
  • Using a torrent to install software you did not pay for.
  • Downloading from untrusted websites.
  • You can also download adware which can be messy.

If you think you may have done any of these then download and use the free version of Malwarebytes. DO NOT install any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party maintenance apps.

Jun 2, 2021 5:19 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm so impressed (!) you have responded quickly, and with this much detail.

Of course, most of your questions deal with aspects of the configuration that existed well before this morning, when the problem began.

I'm sorry I didn't have this input about NordVPN before I paid for a three-year subscription. No matter, it has been uninstalled.

I've had NordVPN for about six months, and it has been flaky all along, so I'll not be missing it. The installation yesterday was one many updates.

As for formatting a drive, I don't see that has anything to do with the current challenge. In any case, MacOS doesn't seem to care.

The two external drives are for the Time Machine backups, and are connected via USB and a hub for power. I'm sure it's slow, but otherwise no count.

Thank you for taking an interest.

Curiously, typing is fully normal, and it is the mouse where the effect is most noticeable.

Slow (jerky mouse, delayed mouse clicks) Mac - Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.