Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installed fake adobe flash file

So I was trying to get opifine for minercaft and downloaded the wrong file by the name of install.dmg. At the time I thought it was the right one and so downloaded it. Turns out it was not and it was a fake adobe flash file. My MacBook Air m1 running big Sur 11.3.1 now starts up in like 30 seconds when before it started up In less that 15 seconds, and when I press the command+shift+5 keys (which allows me to take a screen shot or record my screen), it takes like 5 seconds for the little tool bar to show up when before I downloaded this fake flash file it took less than 1 second. its been over a bit less than 1 week and a half since I downloaded this. Is there anything I can do to remove it? I tried many antivirus apps and had run scans on avast and like 4 other popular anti virus apps for Mac including clean my Mac x.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 6:59 PM

It is clear that Adobe Flash Player had been discontinued since 31 December 2020. So It is no longer available. No it' easy to be called as Malware. Delete it before gettin infected. It is best to download MalwareBytes. It is free. CleanMyMacX requires a paid subscription.

Similar questions

13 replies

Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM in response to dripz_XD

Also follow Apple’s advice on Admin and User accounts.

Set up separate Admin and User accounts and log into the User account for the day to day. This is a really good approach to prevent privilege escalation type things. And log into iCloud on the User account not the Admin one.

It sounds like you’re fine. But some good hardening tips. :D

How to: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203998

Jun 2, 2021 6:53 PM in response to dripz_XD

Antivirus apps won't be able to do anything. It's not a virus. it's malware.

CleanMyMac is complete garbage.

Remove all of the antivirus applications you installed, as well as CMM.

Then download etrecheck from etrecheck.com and post the report it generates here.

by the way, Flash has been dead for over 5 months now. Adobe killed it.

Jun 2, 2021 7:36 PM in response to dripz_XD

Oh it goes without saying you should be 11.4 ASAP. Apple are actively, very quickly and rather brilliantly addressing some issues so you would be remiss not to take advantage of that. If me i would:

(1) factory reset (recovery partition and erase the root volume)

(2) get yourself to 11.4 quicksticks

(3) keep up to date with auto Software Update

Jun 2, 2021 7:58 PM in response to dripz_XD

Don’t say virus around these parts haha. It’s version 2 of the Parisian immortals.

Too late for? If it’s what I got it takes about 24 hours to do it’s privilege escalation.

You will need factory reset then update. And you need to be super careful of accessing any files from the infected system. In fact i would recommend using a totally clean Apple ID.

Plan B is take it to Apple and get them to do their special nuke. Or restore and revive.

Get to 11.4 - 11.4 will protect you from pretty much all the exploits it used. It’s gold

** Sounds like Shlayer. I got it and i didn’t even know it was Flash, i was in a rush trying to install something else and apparently that is what i approved. You will need some heavy erase and restore.

Also - until you are sorted, keep your other Apple wonder gadgets on different iClouds and not syncing with the suspect Mac. Shutoff Bluetooth, Handoff, Airdrop on the suspect one and get that fixed. Also make sure your other things are up to date too. Don’t waste time when Apple release updates. They are super important

installed fake adobe flash file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.