Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS getting sent to totaly random numbers in a large group SMS

This evening I was setting up a 10 person SMS with 2 contacts which I had added to my phone a few moments before. I checked and double checked that all of the contacts were correct before I sent the message I had drafted. After this message was sent, I noticed that two of the contact bubbled were the faceless grey head icons instead of letters for these two new contacts and when I went to investigate, I found that my message had been sent to two seemingly entirely random numbers instead of the contacts which I had explicitly put in the top of my message. I did not have either of these numbers in my contacts and had not made or received any calls from these numbers before this message was sent. I have absolutely no idea where they came from. One of the numbers isn't even connected.

iPhone 11, Verizon - in case that matters.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this? Is this on the Apple side or the carrier side? This really really isn't a thing that should happen. Ever. Especially on an iPhone, regardless of who the carrier is.

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 12:06 AM

SMS, MMS, WiFi Call, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Call Merge, Conference Call, Hotspot, Voice Mail (Visual or Normal) all are Carrier Specific features. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider), the agency that issued the SIM / eSIM to you.

Similar questions

1 reply

SMS getting sent to totaly random numbers in a large group SMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.