Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone attempts to send text to an unrelated number with one contact

When I send a text to one contact (they have an iPhone), my iPhone attempts to text an unrelated number (bubble turns green, SMS). This does not occur on iPad or MacBook.

I deleted the contact on my phone and type in their number manually, send text, same issue. When they text me, I receive it but as a group with their number and the number that the iPhone is associating with them. On Mac, their text is in the correct thread, not a group.

I've tried turning off iMessage, MMS, resetting the phone. I have receive iMessages to and reply from both my number and Apple ID. I tried just using my Apple ID, but issue remains.

Has anyone resolved this issue before?

Thanks,

Zach

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 2:41 PM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Zachsonpub

Hi Zachsonpub,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. You've tried some great steps so far. It may be best to have your contact delete your contact information on their device as well since the issue may be on that end. Try deleting the conversation history between you and this contact on your devices as well as theirs to avoid accidentally sending a message from an old conversation. Then, start a new conversation using these steps from Use Messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Send a message on your iPhone or iPad

1. Open Messages.
  2. Tap the Compose button  to start a new message. Or go to an existing conversation.
  3. Type your message, then tap the Send button send message button.

With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 and later, you can also use inline replies and mentions to call attention to specific messages and people within the messages."

Take care.

Mar 26, 2023 2:02 PM in response to faith185

Hi Faith,

Thanks for the suggestions, but after more troubleshooting (trying to text on a different phone), I knew it was specific to this phone.

After restoring the phone, everything went back to normal. For some unknown reason, my phone made some association between those two numbers that I could not resolve until the factory reset.

Zach

iPhone attempts to send text to an unrelated number with one contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.