Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't charge automatically after a power outage

I currently live in South Africa where we have regular scheduled power outages known as "load shedding" because of constraints on electricity generating capacity.

Every time the power goes out and comes back on, my MacBook Pro will not start charging on it's own. I have to unplug the charger from the USB-C port and plug it in again or it remains on battery. (15" 2017 running OS X 11 - but I had the same problems under OS 10)

Poor quality of Mac Books. In 2017 I replaced my older Mac Book Pro with a 15" and what in 2017 were then top-of-the-line specs (processor, memory, SSD etc). I have been very disappointed in this machine with 4 USB-C ports. The ports are not robust compared with earlier MacBook ports. Some time ago the regular charging cable on the Mac's power brick stopped functioning. I had to add an extension cable that came with a multi-port adapter to make it work. Now, even though the charger functions, if I unplug it and plug it back in, often it won't start charging unless I plug it into a different port, turn the plug over, etc. It's basically a crap shoot. Fortunately I took out an extended warranty because about a month before this expired my screen failed completely and this and the battery needed replacing. Meanwhile the older 2011 machine continues to function.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 5:28 AM

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Quote:

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, fans, and other features.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 5, 2021 1:49 PM in response to dominic23

Thank you for this response too. I've reset the SMC in the past but not since I had this problem and, over time, you forget what options there are and what they may accomplish - at least I do. We'll see whether it solves the problem. Having been a 'personal computer' user since the mid-80s, I wonder when - if ever - there'll be an end to resetting, or whether the hardware/software will forever be glitchy!

MacBook Pro won't charge automatically after a power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.