Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music not showing lyrics on iPhone

After updating my iPhone to iOS 14.6 lyrics for a pile of songs in my music library are no longer available. Since I mostly listen to metal I wondered if this was due to these tracks being designated as having "explicit" lyrics. However, I don't have any content restrictions turned on.

Are the lyrics for these tracks simply no longer available or is this a bug?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 7:46 PM

I accidentally hit that lyrics icon once (butterfingers) and since then, it’s been grayed out like in your pic and I can’t access any lyrics. I’ve bought everything off ITunes, too. I want my lyrics option back!! Apple, fix this!!!

16 replies

Jun 6, 2021 9:50 AM in response to javaliga

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I have no content restrictions turned on. There are a pile of songs in my music library for which lyrics worked a few weeks ago, and now they don't. I still have lyrics for many songs but some have disappeared, as if someone deleted them from the entire Apple Music system.

Jun 5, 2021 6:36 PM in response to Sir_Wulfrick

If you don't see lyrics

Perhaps this article will help:

See time-synced lyrics in Apple Music on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Android device - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2021 7:28 PM in response to Sir_Wulfrick

The lyrics icon is grayed out for all of my music in iOS. The exact same songs I'll have lyrics in Apple Music on my Mac. I have thousands of songs all purchased from iTunes. I previously had this issue and after all of the troubleshooting steps I found online I was unable to solve the problem, and I had to completely do a factory reset on my iPhone to get them working again. I am not willing to do that a second time. I cannot see the lyrics icon but the lyrics are definitely available as they work in Apple Music on both of my Macs. I've included screenshots of one such example.

Jun 8, 2021 11:47 AM in response to javaliga

None of my songs will show lyrics in iOS 14.6. I have almost 18,000 songs, all from iTunes. I have Apple Music and iTunes Match. Before the update nearly every song displayed lyrics. Now the option is greyed out for every song. I have no explicit content restrictions and I’ve done everything short of doing a compete restore and setting up the phone as new. 😫

Jul 22, 2021 10:23 PM in response to Sir_Wulfrick

I have the clean version of the Hamilton soundtrack on my last phone and I could get the lyrics. I recently had to upgrade to an iPhone 12 Pro and the lyrics are gone for random songs. I bought Hamilton from iTunes so it’s not like it’s an issue with music I had burned from a cd- actually some of those worked.

So it’s not explicit lyrics they’re blocking. I’ve told them of this issue a while ago. Where are my lyrics? At least give me the lyrics to Hamilton!

Oct 2, 2021 11:42 AM in response to Kingnebs

I have the same problem. The lyrics appear fine for the same song on my iPhone. But none are available on the Apple TV 4K. I can "Show full lyrics" for the song on the Apple TV (a static window showing all of the lyrics), but they will not appear synced to the song while the song is playing. I have an Apple One subscription, and the lyrics used to display fine. But it's been several months now that they no longer work. I've tried logging out of my account and back in - no help.

Apple Music not showing lyrics on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.