Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logic

Logic is somehow translating expression (CC11) message into audible volume changes in a variety of virtual instruments. For example, a virtual piano gets louder and softer when I record CC11 changes, even though the recorded controller messages show up in Logic as expression, NOT volume changes. When mapping an expression pedal to sweep pedal frequency of a virtual wah-wah, the volume changes concurrently with the frequency in a totally unnatural way, even though the controller messages showing up in Logic are all CC11, NOT CC7. And yes, I know that volume is affected at the extreme ends of wah sweeps. This is different; it's a smooth volume change throughout the range of the sweep.

I've tried creating a brand new project with only one Logic-native instrument, and the same problem occurs,

My keyboard is a Studiologic SL88 Grand, and the software control panel for the keyboard shows the pedal is mapped to CC11, NOT CC7. My version of Logic is 10.4.8, running under 10.14.6.

Apple tech support can't help me unless I upgrade to current version of Logic, which I'm not willing to do. Can anyone help me to sort out why Logic is always responding to CC11 messages with volume changes?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 6:56 PM

This may or may not help.

Go to the upper left Logic Pro menu, to Control Surfaces then to Setup. What do you have showing in the right side panel You can delete everything there start anew. There's a chance expression has been mapped incorrectly. Expression (CC 11) does change volume. You can go to controller assignments and map Expression to an unused CC number.

The Keyboard may be able to assign CC 11 expression to a different CC number.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2021 6:56 PM in response to Ler666

This may or may not help.

Go to the upper left Logic Pro menu, to Control Surfaces then to Setup. What do you have showing in the right side panel You can delete everything there start anew. There's a chance expression has been mapped incorrectly. Expression (CC 11) does change volume. You can go to controller assignments and map Expression to an unused CC number.

The Keyboard may be able to assign CC 11 expression to a different CC number.

Jun 6, 2021 11:47 AM in response to Ler666

MIDI CC (Control Change) message allows modification of MIDI playback.

There are simple controllers that act as a switch like the on/off sustain or hold pedal (CC 64).

Or.... continuous controllers like Modulation, Panning and Expression which send out a stream of messages.

• 0 Bank Select (MSB)
  • 1 Modulation Wheel
  • 2 Breath controller
  • 3 = Undefined
  • 4 Foot Pedal (MSB)
  • 5 Portamento Time (MSB)
  • 6 Data Entry (MSB)
  • 7 Volume (MSB)
  • 8 Balance (MSB
  • 9 = Undefined
  • 10 Pan position (MSB)
  • 11 Expression (MSB)
  • 12 Effect Control 1 (MSB)
  • 13 Effect Control 2 (MSB)
  • 14 = Undefined
  • 15 = Undefined
  • 16-19 = General Purpose
  • 20-31 = Undefined
  • 32-63 = Controller 0-31
  • 64 Hold Pedal (on/off)
  • 65 Portamento (on/off)
  • 66 Sostenuto Pedal (on/off)
  • 67 Soft Pedal (on/off)
  • 68 Legato Pedal (on/off)
  • 69 Hold 2 Pedal (on/off)
  • 70 Sound Variation
  • 71 Resonance (Timbre)
  • 72 Sound Release Time
  • 73 Sound Attack Time
  • 74 Frequency Cutoff (Brightness)
  • 75 Sound Control 6
  • 76 Sound Control 7
  • 77 Sound Control 8
  • 78 Sound Control 9
  • 79 Sound Control 10
  • 80 Decay or General Purpose Button 1 (on/off) Roland Tone level 1
  • 81 Hi Pass Filter Frequency or General Purpose Button 2 (on/off) Roland Tone level 2
  • 82 General Purpose Button 3 (on/off) Roland Tone level 3
  • 83 General Purpose Button 4 (on/off) Roland Tone level 4
  • 84 Portamento Amount
  • 85-90 = Undefined
  • 91 Reverb Level
  • 92 Tremolo Level
  • 93 Chorus Level
  • 94 Detune Level
  • 95 Phaser Level
  • 96 Data Button increment
  • 97 Data Button decrement
  • 98 Non-registered Parameter (LSB)
  • 99 Non-registered Parameter (MSB)
  • 100 Registered Parameter (LSB)
  • 101 Registered Parameter (MSB)
  • 102-119 = Undefined
  • 120 All Sound Off
  • 121 All Controllers Off
  • 122 Local Keyboard (on/off)
  • 123 All Notes Off
  • 124 Omni Mode Off
  • 125 Omni Mode On
  • 126 Mono Operation
  • 127 Poly Mode

Jun 5, 2021 4:54 PM in response to Ler666

Just to eliminate the issue of wah wah filter sweep introducing perceived volume changes, I set an LFO to modulate Osc1 fine tuning, then "learn"ed the LFO rate to my expression pedal. Once again, sweeping the pedal resulted in unwanted volume changes in addition to the desired changes to vibrato speed. Looking at the recorded data, only expression data was recorded- no volume data. Still, the expression pedal is affecting volume no matter what else I program it to do. The unwanted volume changes are reproduced on playback as well. I've tried both a Roland EV5 and a Yamaha expression pedal, and I've tried both of the expression pedal inputs on my master keyboard, all with same result. This is making me nuts!

logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.